2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

what does no bus mean?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 12:45 PM
BoxcarNY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NO BUS indication on odometer No start- Gauges NG

OK here's the deal --AND THE REMEDY-- FINALLY!!!!!!

I always knew that it had to be an electrical contact problem within one of the three 32 pin plugs or jacks at the PCM. The van would stall (many times in the Holland tunnel under the Hudson River!) I would get out (ignition swich in run position), push down on the plug on the right side--hear the relay click - then restart. When the engine temp rose above the halfway mark this would occur- usually after sitting in slow traffic for a while.

Finally after many months of this BS I finally took the cover off the PCM and found that everything was covered in a clear gel so that made pinpointing the bad connection difficult. However when I pushed down on the gel at the lower corner of the jack on the right - contact was made and a relay clicked and the motor would start.

I really wanted to rip out the (heat dissipating?) gel and find the loose contact and solder it but instead I took a small piece of rubber placed it over the spot. I then replaced the cover which pushed down on the rubber piece which pushed down on the spot which would re-establish the connection and it's been fine since!

Repair= FREE - stess reduction= Priceless!

Last edited by BoxcarNY; 07-12-2011 at 12:47 PM. Reason: spelling
The following users liked this post:
1TonMaxivan (08-03-2021)
Old 07-12-2011, 02:34 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

not heat dissipating, dielectric grease to keep water out of the connections.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:23 PM
nacgodochesdan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 dodge ram on bus

Originally Posted by moose23
i have a 99 1500. i just put a rebuilt engine, trany, and transfer case in it. the first time i went to start it it ran for about 30 seconds and died and now none of my gauges worked but they did when i went to start it the first time. also my odometer says " no bus" and im wondering what the hell does that mean?

if anyone has any ideas please let me know. thanks
The no bus problem can be a bad air idle control valve, your motor can stall or idle to high,and they seem to go bad in hot weather,after your motor cools it will do fine again,but it can cause your instrument cluster to go out.A new ACV may fix it.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:58 PM
EggertDeggert

[quote=BoxcarNY;2547776]OK here's the deal --AND THE REMEDY-- FINALLY!!!!!!

BoxcarNY: My 2003 van developed the same "no bus" symptom this weekend. After much online research (and changing crank sensor and ABS sensor at rear differential), I was able to get the van to start by pushing on the PCM plug closest to the driver's side (as detailed in your post). I can get the van to go into and out of "no bus" by wiggling this plug. Is your "fix" still working? Instead of a ground issue, like many people point to, it sounds like something in your PCM (near/at) the 1st plug is broken on your board (and mine too). Your fix sounds MUCH MORE attractive than buying another PCM!

Old 10-30-2011, 07:44 PM
EggertDeggert
Default ugh

OK, now that I know the "wiggle the #1 plug on the PCM" trick to get out of the "no bus" situation, I don't feel so afraid of being stranded...but when turning around in the middle of the street just now, the van quit (no bus) and I had to reset it 3 times. It really doesn't seem to like when I turn the wheel all the way...probably puts a load on the motor/electrical system and kicks the "no bus" situation.

Gonna try opening the PCM and adding a rubber spacer to see if it keeps contact/connection...if not, I guess I'll order the PCM from Ebay (the place where they take the VIN and mileage to program the replacement PCM)

Old 10-30-2011, 08:26 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My brother-in-law's jeep grand cherokee had the same issue. When it didn't throw a no bus, it flashed up lots of indicator lights such as CEL, ABS, etc.

This is what I found on another forum, and seems to be pretty common on some grand cherokees. I also wrapped the cable to the first connector in braided wire grounding mesh. Don't know if it will help:

Name:  JeepPCMMod.jpg
Views: 31746
Size:  152.2 KB

Old 10-30-2011, 10:24 PM
EggertDeggert

good idea, actually. beats my idea of having my son ride under the hood holding the plugs in!

Old 10-30-2011, 10:34 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EggertDeggert
good idea, actually. beats my idea of having my son ride under the hood holding the plugs in!

Now that's just wrong! He'll get too hot in there!

Old 10-31-2011, 07:48 AM
EggertDeggert

wrapped first plug tightly to the PCM w/ a bungee cord this morning to get to work. if it doesn't conk out on me today, I'll replace the bungee cord w/ a hose clamp when I get home today. i'll let you all know how it works.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:17 PM
BoxcarNY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Loose connection in the PCM

It is definately a loose solder joint on an IC chip or other small component under the third socket. I don't want to rip out the moisture barrier goop so I placed a small square piece of wood over the spot where the broken connection is and replaced the metal cover which pushes down on the connection point keeping it good.

I have another issue now though, when I turn the ignition switch to RUN (w/o starting) the AUTO SHUTDOWN relay buzzes (I've switched relays--all work- all buzz) And the engine won't start.

#$@#!* those Chrysler engineers!

Quick Reply: what does no bus mean?