2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trans Check Valve Delete

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 10:55 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
I'd rather have "peace of mind"

That one was for you, Grammar Po-Po.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:21 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
I'd rather have "peace of mind"

My truck was missing the check valve when I bought it, and I recently called a transmission shop about rebuilding the trans. When I told the mechanic that I wanted the check valve reinstalled, he told me my truck wouldn't drive without one as it aids the transmission in build pressure. He couldn't believe that I can drive my truck without one.

As a word of caution to you people wanting to remove the check valve, in colder weather, you're going to have to allow time for the truck to warm up as it won't want to move, especially in reverse, with the valve missing.

Hey squirrels, instead of hose clamps, why not have pressed on fittings instead, like power steering pumps?

I wont warranty any rebuild unless that check valve is removed. Its actually common practice to remove it. That check valve does not aid in building anything. It simply doents allow the fluid to drain back into the pan.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:23 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
MonteC you are correct, The valve bodies, not OD units, are slightly different due to the H/E designation. I was tired last night. One (the E) is electronically controlled vs. a hydraulically controlled VB on the H. Sorry for the misinformation minis2003! I will fix that in the above post so future readers don't misquote bad info later on.

Eh. Close enough i guess. Youd need to take classes on the subject to get a better understanding i suppose.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:24 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by wingnut71
hi montec its me again lol i did the trans tuneup and it went fine but now i have the same problem i had and also now it doesnt want to shift from 1st to 2nd unless i let off the gas and then press it again kinda like using a clutch to shift and then it shifts but the sometimes it seems like it drops back into 1st and so on if it goes right the first time for the most part the other gears seem to shift ok but when i hit passing gear it the tack jumps up and i go no where let off gas and im back where i started from let off gas in order to get it to shift could i have junk clogged in the check valve and can i just get rid of it with a piece of high pres hose thanks all for your input and help..
Refresh my memory, what all did you do again?

Old 12-14-2008, 12:07 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MonteC
I wont warranty any rebuild unless that check valve is removed. Its actually common practice to remove it. That check valve does not aid in building anything. It simply doesn't allow the fluid to drain back into the pan.
Interesting. Thanks for the tip.

Old 12-14-2008, 12:43 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

Originally Posted by MonteC
Eh. Close enough i guess. Youd need to take classes on the subject to get a better understanding i suppose.

No... not more school!!!

Last edited by aim4squirrels; 12-14-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:13 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
No...more school!!!
Is that "No more school!" or "NO, More school!"?

Old 12-14-2008, 05:39 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

That was No, I gotta start thinking again yuck, more school arrgggghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-14-2008, 07:57 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The check valve is also a restriction.
I replaced a perfectly good trans cooler once at the dealer because I didn't follow cooler flushing instructions properly.
The check valve added approx 20 psi to the pressure / flow test. I was supposed to check flow after the check valve.
Oops!
Warranty paid for it, not the customer...

Old 12-14-2008, 08:32 PM
wingnut71
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi montec i asked you how to adjust the band in a pm. i changed the fluid adjusted the bands to 78 in lbs backed off outside adjusted 2 1/4 turns and did the same on the inside adjustment except backed off 3 turns like you said too that all went fine no problems except had to to drop front drive shaft to get to the band adjustment. now the trans doesnt wanna come out of first gear the rpms go up to around 3 grand and the trans doesnt shift into 2nd if i let off the gas and press it again it will most of the time go into 2nd gear from then on it seems to shift ok into 3rd and 4th and lockup but when i hit passing gear it does what it was doing the trans start to kick down and then the rpms jump up around 5 grand and the trans doesnt go let off gas and its back in the gear i was in when i hit the gas. also when going from 1st to 2nd like i said sometimes it seems like if im speed is up around 30 mph it just goes right into 3rd skipping 2nd gear. well i also pm you again the other day did you get that message just curious thanks montec you've been a big help...

Quick Reply: Trans Check Valve Delete