2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Kat's circulation tank heater

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 08:05 PM
SarcasticDwarf
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kat's circulation tank heater

Anyone have any thoughts on these? I went to Napa today and planned on getting the freeze plug type but apparently they were sold out throughout the state. Is this type any better or worse than the freeze plug type?

Edit: I believe it is this product: http://www.amazon.com/Kats-13080-Alu.../dp/B000I8VKOY

Last edited by SarcasticDwarf; 12-15-2008 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:52 PM
TheForce55555
All Star

We use them on our diesel farm tractors, they put out some heat, but very hard to find a place to mount without major fabrication due to the size of it

Old 12-16-2008, 05:42 AM
Jpnorris87
Professional

They are actually not that bad to install on these dodges. I put one on my truck b/c I was goin to Alaska and in Oklahoma there is very few options for block heaters. The one I got is a lil bit smaller than that one and it did alright up in Fairbanks at -60. The freeze plug heaters are alot better b/c they heat up your block twice as fast. All I did to install is pull the inline hose connector from the heater hose and installed a Y fitting. Then I pulled a threaded plug out of my block. So the water was pumped thru the heater core, down thru the block and out the bottom where I removed the plug and back into the block heater. Mine was just a universal block heater and it came with all the fittings I needed. It came with a clamp for the heater itself. I just drilled a hole in my inner fender well and bolted the clamp/block heater assy there. It was too easy and honestly with an antifreeze flush only took about 2hrs. Just be careful when you remove the plug out of the block. They are usually pretty tough to get out, but a good 6pt socket and a breaker bar does the job.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:12 PM
SarcasticDwarf
Professional

Any other comments?

Old 12-16-2008, 11:51 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They work well
You could also consider an oil pan or dipstick oil heater.
After all it's really the oil you want warm to allow starting in sub zero weather

Old 12-17-2008, 12:30 AM
SarcasticDwarf
Professional

Originally Posted by rabbler
They work well
You could also consider an oil pan or dipstick oil heater.
After all it's really the oil you want warm to allow starting in sub zero weather
Any recommendations on products? The auto parts stores seem to be lacking on selection.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:37 AM
TRG

Found this on another forum, some good info.... esp about dipstick heaters being outlawed in Canada....

Anyone here getting ready for winter? Below are 5 different types of engine heaters.

The easiest and cheapest to install is probably the Dipstick Heater. You basically pull out your dipstick and put the dipstick heater in the tube. The dipstick heater will heat the oil and the air in the oil pan. Also dipstick heaters were outlawed in canada due to engine fires. But they are still sold in USA. Dipstick heaters are usually 20 inches to 24 inches long and before you drive the car you have to pull the heater out and replace the dipstick. Most dipstick heaters are to long and will hit the crank if the engine is running. Also dipstick heaters can not be use in plastic oil tubes. Plugs into a 110 volt outlet.

Another easy one to install is the Magnetic Heater these heaters have a magnet on the bottom and you crawl under your car and stick it to your oil pan. Some of the newer cars this will not work because the oil pan has design patterns or made of aluminium. Plugs into a 110 volt outlet.

Then next easiest and pretty cheap to buy, would be the Lower Radiator Hose Heater. Basically you drain the radiator and cut a section of the lower radiator hose out and install the heater. The trick to getting one of these to work is, because heat rises you want the heater vertical with the water pump. You want the heat to go up into the engine and not to the radiator, so having it mounted just beneath and going into the water pump is best. These are good heaters if install correctly and they will heat the same areas as a Frost Plug Heater would. Some people are afraid that the engine thermostat will close if they use one of these heaters. Well actually thermostats are closed until it reaches a certain engine running temperature then it opens. Most lower radiator hose heaters have a thermostat. And if the water does actually get hot enough, the engine thermostat will open and let some water out into the radiator. But this is rare. And usually lower hose heaters won't get hot enough for that to even happen. Plugs into a 110 volt outlet.

External Tank Engine Heater little more expensive but well worth the money. Basically one hose connects to a frost plug and another hose connects to a heater hose to the heater core. These heaters are nice. They heat the engine and keep the heater core warm. They also keep the water circulating. And harder to install because you need to get to a engine frost plug. But if you can install one of these do it. These are probably one of the best heaters. Because the engine is warm for starting and you have some instant heat out of the heater core, which will probably be warm enough to defrost your window. Plugs into a 110 volt outlet.

Frost Plug Heater cheap to buy, but hard to install. These are your typical heater that comes as a option on cars you buy from the dealership. Frost plug heaters are effective and keeps the water in the engine warm which the heat soothes down through the metal to the oil. These are tougher to install because you need to find a frost plug on the engine block to install it. (Having it in the center of the engine is best) Sometimes if you install a frost plug heater it will leak. And then you need either a new frost plug heater gasket or frost plug heater and replace it until you find a setup that doesn't leak anti-freeze. But once your past that they are very good heaters. These heat the engine similar to the Lower Radiator Hose Heater. Also if you install a frost plug heater you will need to drain the radiator. Plugs into a 110 volt outlet.

Also I've seen heaters like a heating pad which sticks to the oil pan and I don't know how good they work or if they are worth installing, I've seen them for diesel engine applications.

If anyone else knows of a heater or has tips. Add them to the list. This is the time of year where it's a good time to install a heater if you live in cold climate and you don't have a heated garage to store your vehicle. Also I've searched the internet and they don't have a lot of info on these heaters and how they are installed, So this will give some people a basic idea on what they want, And what to buy. And ease of installation.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:38 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Temro and Zerostart are popular brands.
An electric battery blanket is also a popular idea.
Your battery loses about 50% of its power in cold weather and your engine requires about 150% additional power to starter when extremely cold

Quick Reply: Kat's circulation tank heater