2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:56 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Help please! new stereo install

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 03:13 PM
Bloodknight80
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The blue wire which is your remote wire needs to be connected to the white wire on your truck's wire harness which is the power antenna/amp wire. I found this doing a google search as it should help you out a bit: http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs/DCP/PDF/327009.pdf

Old 01-01-2009, 10:36 PM
CSXfan
All Star

I can't find a white wire on my trucks wiring harness so I'm still not sure what to connect the new units remote wire to. Any more advice? Also, I still don't know what the rectangular plug with the violet/brown and white/black wires is supposed to do. Here's a pic of what plug I'm talking about.

Name:  DSCN2371.jpg
Views: 12391
Size:  66.3 KB

Does anyone know where this plug is supposed to go? There is no place to plug this in to the back of the new unit. They are labeled "CCD Bus +" and "CCD Bus -"

I'm pretty sure the single blue/black wire in this next pic is the ground wire that connects to the trucks chassis. Can anyone verify this?

Name:  DSCN2370.jpg
Views: 10527
Size:  41.9 KB

What I do know is that the radio turns on and beeps but no sound will come out of the speakers, not even any static or clicks. Any more help is appreciated, thanks again.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:21 AM
Bloodknight80
Rookie

The wire in the last pic is your ground wire, connect this to the ground wire from your new head unit. In the first pic, the black clip is the clip with the amp wire. As you look at the pic, the wire you are looking for is the one on the very top of the black clip. This is the wire you will connect the remote wire from your new head unit. Try that and let me know. That should be what you need.

I should've asked if you had bought a vehicle specific wire harness for your truck. Makes things much easier. LOL.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:27 AM
Bloodknight80
Rookie

Originally Posted by CSXfan
Does anyone know where this plug is supposed to go? There is no place to plug this in to the back of the new unit. They are labeled "CCD Bus +" and "CCD Bus -"
I am stumped with this plug. I will do some research and try to figure out what this is for and get back to you.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:27 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bloodknight80
I am stumped with this plug. I will do some research and try to figure out what this is for and get back to you.
That isn't a sound sensing wire for the amps on the speakers is it?
Maybe you might be better off just paying your local car audio shop to throw the head unit in. They might atleast have a direct plug and play harness. I do not reccomend you direct wire the new head unit in There is just too many headaches involved doing it that way.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:28 AM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

in the case of those wires on your truck you have to clip those and splice them into your wiring harness, those cables are all of your speaker cables, thats why you have no sound at all is because none of your speaker cables are connected, thats why most of those wires have 2 purple wires one with a black stripe and one without, the one with the black stripe is the negative to that speaker. hope that helps.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:37 AM
CSXfan
All Star

Thanks for the help guys but I think I'm better off just heading in to Best Buy and having them take a look at it. I did buy a vehicle specific harness but they may have sold me the wrong one for all I know. I have radio controls mounted on my steering wheel. Would this make a difference in how the new unit hooks up?

Old 01-02-2009, 10:52 AM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could make a difference. I had the same issue when I installed my head unit...power but no sound. Then I found out I had the Infinity speakers which I was told have some type of factory amp pushing them...had to connect blue wire to a power source...problem solved.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:08 PM
Bloodknight80
Rookie

Yeah it definitely could be. The CCD Bus + and - could be for those controls. You probably are better off taking it in.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:34 PM
tazman6789
Veteran

the two prong ur talking about is for the steering wheel control, you will lose those controls unless u buy a head unit that can work with them, or they may sell an adapter to make them work but most likely u will lose those controls as for that blue wire that is the ground. on the back of your new harness there is another blue wire label "remote lead" that is if you put an aftermarket amp in ur truck that wire has to be ran to the amp all it does is tell the amp to turn on and off when ur radio turns on and off. as for the plug that looks like a phone jack thats probably for hd radio adapter, or if you want to put a 6 disc changer in ur truck somewhere.

Quick Reply: Help please! new stereo install