2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ABS and BRAKE light problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 11:28 PM
craigsharp
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ABS and BRAKE light problem?

About 3 or 4 days ago my ABS and BRAKE lights lit up on my truck... My brake pedal was nearly hitting the floor but produced enough braking to get me home safely... I checked the fluid level and saw that the resevoir was empty so I went to the parts store and bought some brake fluid and filled it up to the full line... Started the truck and pumped the brakes for a few minutes till it built up pressure and restarted the truck and lights went off. Got in the truck today and lights came back on and pedal did same thing except this time pedal seems more spongey... My father inlaw suggested the lines had air in them and needed to be bled to remove any air... Does his theory seem right? It sounds right to me.... If so, what is the process to bleed lines of air?

As always, thanks in advance!
Craig Sharp

Old 03-07-2010, 12:10 AM
blong4life
Professional

Before bleeding them, fix the problem. The fluid went somewhere, so you might have a leak in the line (Or really low front brakes; your brake fluid will drop as your lining in the front wear).

For bleeding them, jack her up, and on the rear wheels you'll see wheel cylinders. You'll see were the line goes in, then you'll see some aperatiously looking valve deal on top of that, have someone pump them up, hold the pedal to the floor, when they are holding it, open that valve. You'll see fluid/air come out, this is good. Once the air is out, you'll have only fluid runing from the system. Always pump the brakes up a few times to work the air out. Repeat for front, except the valve deals will be on the calipers.

Make sure you check the brake fluid level here and there, or else you'll run it out of fluid bleeding it.

Last edited by blong4life; 03-07-2010 at 12:13 AM.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:46 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Check the line that runs above the gas tank. It is very common for that line to rot and develop a leak.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:07 AM
WaynesWorld
Veteran

yep, it is leaking. look for a wet spot along the lines

Quick Reply: ABS and BRAKE light problem?