2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need valve help "floating valve"(?)

Old 01-13-2009, 09:43 AM
mcss8541
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Need valve help "floating valve"(?)

Well everyone I have still not been able to correct my cylinder 5 misfire so as if this blessing came from up above my boss's cousin is a 30+ yr Chrysler mechanic and he stated based on the symptoms that it's sounds as if I "floated" a valve which is common in the 5.9 over 130K miles. He said it usually can occur between 160-190K miles. I told him about routing the spk plug wires the correct way and he stated that Dodge has the coldest ignition out there and the # 5 spk plug wire wouldn't cause a misfire just because it wasn't far enough from the #7 wire. He also stated the the 8mm wires weren't good for my truck because the ignition system just doesn't produce enough spark for it to be beneficial. Now my question if I did "float" this valve(?) what is the correct way to fix it? Do I replace all the valves?

Old 01-13-2009, 09:53 AM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What does he mean by "float?" I think you have the dreaded head crack, in which case you will need to replace both heads.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:05 AM
mcss8541
All Star

Originally Posted by Rex-TheDOGG
What does he mean by "float?" I think you have the dreaded head crack, in which case you will need to replace both heads.
OK! Now my next question is - if that be the case what's the name of that website that everyone goes to on this forum to get heads> I remember that they were not expensive

Old 01-13-2009, 10:20 AM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain

Originally Posted by mcss8541
OK! Now my next question is - if that be the case what's the name of that website that everyone goes to on this forum to get heads> I remember that they were not expensive
Well, you didn't answer my question. What does he mean by a floating valve? Is it just floating loose in there or does he mean it's not seating anymore?

You can source replacment heads from several different vendors or ebay. This is the outfit I used, and I've been very satisfied with their product and customer service.

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/index.php

Old 01-13-2009, 10:24 AM
mcss8541
All Star

Well, you didn't answer my question. What does he mean by a floating valve? Is it just floating loose in there or does he mean it's not seating anymore?

You can source replacment heads from several different vendors or ebay. This is the outfit I used, and I've been very satisfied with their product and customer service.

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/index.php
He said it's floating which is causing the misfire and poss causing the running lean symptoms. When the truck is started it will stumble during warm up when the rpm's are trying to go down the engine would stumble and the rpm's would recover and go back up. this will go one for about 2-3 minutes then it will level out. the truck runs fine after it's warm but the "miss" is there and even though I reset the CEL I can always tell when it's about nto come back on with the misfire.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:28 AM
mcss8541
All Star

this website is definitely not the 1. the heads are waaaaaaay more expensive then the 1 given to me about a yr ago. also how do i know whether or not I have a magnum engine or a LA engine?

Old 01-13-2009, 10:33 AM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain

He said it's floating which is causing the misfire and poss causing the running lean symptoms.
Ok. Did you pull the valve cover and check for broken spring on #5? Just curious. I would hate to see you pull the heads for a broken valve spring. Also, the other day, someone had pictures of a pushrod that went through the factory rocker. Might want to check that too.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:34 AM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain

this website is definitely not the 1. the heads are waaaaaaay more expensive then the 1 given to me about a yr ago. also how do i know whether or not I have a magnum engine or a LA engine?
You have Magnum engine.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:39 AM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain

this website is definitely not the 1. the heads are waaaaaaay more expensive then the 1 given to me about a yr ago.
Well, it's all about value and who you want to deal your hard earned money with. Personally, I won't deal with an ebay operation when it comes to cylinder heads. Your choice of course.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:27 AM
mcss8541
All Star

Ok. Did you pull the valve cover and check for broken spring on #5? Just curious. I would hate to see you pull the heads for a broken valve spring. Also, the other day, someone had pictures of a pushrod that went through the factory rocker. Might want to check that too.
No not yet that's on the weekend menu. If it is broken will it be obvious or do I have to remove the rocker?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need valve help "floating valve"(?)