2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny Will Not Upshift

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 02:10 PM
gobbell1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TransGuy and MonteC...thanks.

1) I will check the TV cable next

2) Concerning MonteC's question(s), here goes:

Q1. "I would work with the cable next, but if its a noticeable slip between 3rd and 4th then its a good chance that the overdrive direct clutches are on their way out the door."

A1. The slip always occurs twice, then engages the correct gear and all is well.

Q2. Does it just neutralize from 3rd to 4th, or is it just a flare? If youre accerating and when it goes to shift into 4th does it act like nothing is there, or will the tach flare up and then shift?

A2. The slip always occurs under acceleration and always from 3-4. The tranny will disengage 3rd, the engine will rev high (because my foot is on the pedal..so I will let off) and it will re-engage 3rd again, disengage 3rd a second time then engage 4th and will stay in 4th.

After I check the TV cable, what next?

Old 02-03-2009, 06:22 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gobbell1
TransGuy and MonteC...thanks.

1) I will check the TV cable next

2) Concerning MonteC's question(s), here goes:

Q1. "I would work with the cable next, but if its a noticeable slip between 3rd and 4th then its a good chance that the overdrive direct clutches are on their way out the door."

A1. The slip always occurs twice, then engages the correct gear and all is well.

Q2. Does it just neutralize from 3rd to 4th, or is it just a flare? If youre accerating and when it goes to shift into 4th does it act like nothing is there, or will the tach flare up and then shift?

A2. The slip always occurs under acceleration and always from 3-4. The tranny will disengage 3rd, the engine will rev high (because my foot is on the pedal..so I will let off) and it will re-engage 3rd again, disengage 3rd a second time then engage 4th and will stay in 4th.

After I check the TV cable, what next?
How does the fluid look and smell now after you have been test driving it?

Old 02-04-2009, 10:18 AM
gobbell1
Professional

The truck is my 3rd vehicle so I've only put 200 miles on it since I did the fluid/filter change 2 weeks ago.

However, the fluid level is perfect (warm and idling). The fluid color is just as it was after I changed it (looks like new) and the fluid does not smell burnt.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:28 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Im sorry if you already answered this but what did the fluid look like before you changed it?

Old 02-08-2009, 09:24 PM
gobbell1
Professional

Update:

1. Returned the TPS to it's original .6v @ idle since adjusting it any higher didn't change any transmission issues.

2. Checked the TV cable and it was spot on!

3. Every time the tranny slipped going into 4th, it would throw a p0740 code (torque converter clutch (TCC) circuit). Which from what I can gather could mean a bad TCC or a bad TCC solenoid.

3. I also noticed that when I manually turned the "O/D Off" switch "OFF" in the cab, the slipping from 3rd-4th gear went away completely and the tranny would not throw a p0740 code either. Likewise when I turned the "O/D" switch back to on, the slipping re-occurred and so did the p0740 code. The slipping occurs when going from 3rd-4th gear under acceleration (either mild or heavy). The tach jumps 500-1,000 and the tranny slips. I let off the accelerator and let the tranny try to find 4th gear, sometimes it does...sometimes it doesn't.

4. Drained my Tranny (thanks to all those who suggested to put in a drain plug...it was a snap!!!) into a clear container. WOW...I was surprised! While it didn't smell burnt, it clearly was darker than the new stuff I put in just 200 miles ago (see pic).

So, given the p0740 code issue with the O/D switch and the dark fluid, I'm thinking my O/D unit is on the fritz.

Any thoughts!

Last edited by gobbell1; 04-09-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:07 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

ouch. Yeah that fluid doesnt not look healthy. Especially with only 200 miles on it.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:54 PM
gobbell1
Professional

MonteC,

Anything else I can check?

1) clean valve body?
2) clean/replace solenoids?

At this point, I plan to drive it as needed in 3rd gear. We'll see what happens

Last edited by gobbell1; 02-10-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:36 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Pull the vb down and clean it up, as well as the solenoids. Might help.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:33 PM
gobbell1
Professional

Won't hurt huh!!!!

The tranny finally died today!! It would shift into any gear, but never engage. It was just like it was in neutral. However, if I let it sit for 10 minutes (engine off) it would re-engage and take me a whopping 200'.

Since it is a 3rd vehicle, I may drop the pan and clean up the VB. Couldn't hurt.

Thanks again for all your help along the way.

cg

Old 02-11-2009, 10:09 PM
transguy37
Professional

More than likely the torque convertor clutch is fried since you are getting the 740 code and the dark fluid. If it is the convertor you are on barrowed time, short time.

Quick Reply: Tranny Will Not Upshift