Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny Will Not Upshift

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 01-27-2009, 06:00 PM
gobbell1's Avatar
gobbell1 gobbell1 is offline
Professional
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Vehicle: '96 Ram SLT 2WD. White with gray cloth interior
Location: Lakeland TN
Posts: 242
Default Tranny Will Not Upshift

Im experiencing some new tranny issues. Here goes:

1) 5.9l Magnum with 154k miles
2) Idle in gear is higher than normal and will pull the truck @ 10mph
3) 1st to 2nd gear shifts okay but @ higher RPMs than normal
4) 2nd to 3rd gear when cold will shift okay but @ higher RPMs than normal.
However when hot, sometimes will not shift into 3rd at all
5) 3rd to 4th gear same as 2nd to 3rd gear
6) Other findings:
a. When tranny is cold, it acts almost normal. A little high on the RPM
shift points but it shifts
b. When tranny is hot, it may or may not shift out of 2nd
c. Either cold/hot, highway cruising @ 50mph is @ 1900 rpm,
when it used to be 1500 RPM
d. When the tranny acts up (will not shift), simply turning the ignition
off and back on will correct the problem

Ive read just about all the posts on here and Im thinking it is either the TPS, TV cable or governor sensor/solenoid in the tranny. I did a trans fluid/filter change (with ATF+4) and adjusted the bands last week, but it did not help/hurt. The trans fluid was dark red, but not burnt.

Any ideas?
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
__________________
'96 Ram 1500 SLT Sport 2WD Ext Cab. 5.9L Magnum. Rebuilt 46RE. 162k miles. Herculined Bed. 1 1/2" Daystar Leveling Kit. Bilsteins (4). New Ball Joints.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-27-2009, 06:28 PM
tattoo tattoo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1
Default

I'm having similiar problems with mine(98 1500 4wd) doesn't want to upshift 2-3 when hot. Someone said might be trans temp sensor and one other sensor inside the trans. I would like to take it to a trans shop, i dont think its a major repair.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-27-2009, 08:01 PM
MonteC's Avatar
MonteC MonteC is offline
Record Breaker
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Vehicle: '99 F350 PSD
Location: North Charleston, SC
Posts: 1,245
Send a message via AIM to MonteC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobbell1 View Post

it is either the TPS, TV cable or governor sensor/solenoid in the tranny.

Youre on the right track.
__________________
Professional Transmission Technician
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-27-2009, 09:26 PM
gobbell1's Avatar
gobbell1 gobbell1 is offline
Professional
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Vehicle: '96 Ram SLT 2WD. White with gray cloth interior
Location: Lakeland TN
Posts: 242
Default

MonteC...Thanks for the reply. I read several of your posts regarding this subject and thats pretty much what I figured was next.

I'll let you know what I find out.
__________________
'96 Ram 1500 SLT Sport 2WD Ext Cab. 5.9L Magnum. Rebuilt 46RE. 162k miles. Herculined Bed. 1 1/2" Daystar Leveling Kit. Bilsteins (4). New Ball Joints.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-02-2009, 09:54 PM
gobbell1's Avatar
gobbell1 gobbell1 is offline
Professional
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Vehicle: '96 Ram SLT 2WD. White with gray cloth interior
Location: Lakeland TN
Posts: 242
Default

Update:

I checked the TPS and here is what I found:

1. Ignition in "ON", Engine "OFF", TPS connector was getting 5.1V. So I checked the TPS itself.

2. Ignition in "ON", Engine "OFF", TPS was producing .6V @ idle and 3.0v @ WOT. So I removed the TPS, bolt sleeves and adjusted the TPS a good bit to get .9 @ idle and 3.3v @ WOT (still under the recommended numbers)

However...

3. Cranked engine and went for a spin and got a) a check engine light and b) my tranny was slipping going from 3rd to 4th (while shifting up, it would act like it disengaged and rev way too high (4-5k rpm)

4. Came back and check the codes and low and behold I got a...
code #24 - TPS out of tolerance/limit
code #37 - TCC solenoid error.


Follow-up Questions:
1. It sounds like my TPS was doing okay? Any thoughts?
2. Why would I get code #37 (TCC solenoid failure) now?
__________________
'96 Ram 1500 SLT Sport 2WD Ext Cab. 5.9L Magnum. Rebuilt 46RE. 162k miles. Herculined Bed. 1 1/2" Daystar Leveling Kit. Bilsteins (4). New Ball Joints.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-02-2009, 11:40 PM
transguy37's Avatar
transguy37 transguy37 is offline
Professional
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 06 Stratus/99 Intrepid
Location: NC
Posts: 105
Default

Hello,

I'm a little confused, is this a Magnum car or is this a truck?
__________________
12 yrs trans tech
Import and Domestic
06 Dodge Stratus
99 Dodge Intrepid
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-03-2009, 10:47 AM
MonteC's Avatar
MonteC MonteC is offline
Record Breaker
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Vehicle: '99 F350 PSD
Location: North Charleston, SC
Posts: 1,245
Send a message via AIM to MonteC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobbell1 View Post
Update:

I checked the TPS and here is what I found:

1. Ignition in "ON", Engine "OFF", TPS connector was getting 5.1V. So I checked the TPS itself.

2. Ignition in "ON", Engine "OFF", TPS was producing .6V @ idle and 3.0v @ WOT. So I removed the TPS, bolt sleeves and adjusted the TPS a good bit to get .9 @ idle and 3.3v @ WOT (still under the recommended numbers)

However...

3. Cranked engine and went for a spin and got a) a check engine light and b) my tranny was slipping going from 3rd to 4th (while shifting up, it would act like it disengaged and rev way too high (4-5k rpm)

4. Came back and check the codes and low and behold I got a...
code #24 - TPS out of tolerance/limit
code #37 - TCC solenoid error.


Follow-up Questions:
1. It sounds like my TPS was doing okay? Any thoughts?
2. Why would I get code #37 (TCC solenoid failure) now?
The TPS out of tolerance could have delayed the shift into O/D. If a shift takes too long the computer will throw a code to indicate a problem.
__________________
Professional Transmission Technician
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-03-2009, 10:59 AM
gobbell1's Avatar
gobbell1 gobbell1 is offline
Professional
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Vehicle: '96 Ram SLT 2WD. White with gray cloth interior
Location: Lakeland TN
Posts: 242
Default

MonteC,

I've readjusted my TPS to .7v @ idle (instead of the original .6v or the previously adjusted .9v) and I no longer get any engine fault codes, however I still notice two things.

1) The shift points are about 200rpms lower (was 1800 now 1600rpm)
2) The tranny stills slips going from 3rd-4th (thus causing the engine rpms to surge big time)

Two questions for you (if I may).

1. Is my TPS within limits? (I thought it should be reading 1.4v @ idle, not < 1v)
2. If my TPS is ok, where should I focus my attention next?
__________________
'96 Ram 1500 SLT Sport 2WD Ext Cab. 5.9L Magnum. Rebuilt 46RE. 162k miles. Herculined Bed. 1 1/2" Daystar Leveling Kit. Bilsteins (4). New Ball Joints.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-03-2009, 01:47 PM
transguy37's Avatar
transguy37 transguy37 is offline
Professional
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 06 Stratus/99 Intrepid
Location: NC
Posts: 105
Default

Hello,

Nevermind my question ealier, I have a head cold and had a duh moment. The TPS won't cause a slippage in the trans. You can adjust your throttle cable and make it shorter to make your shifts longer and may help with the slip on the 3-4 shift.
__________________
12 yrs trans tech
Import and Domestic
06 Dodge Stratus
99 Dodge Intrepid
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-03-2009, 02:04 PM
MonteC's Avatar
MonteC MonteC is offline
Record Breaker
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Vehicle: '99 F350 PSD
Location: North Charleston, SC
Posts: 1,245
Send a message via AIM to MonteC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobbell1 View Post
MonteC,

I've readjusted my TPS to .7v @ idle (instead of the original .6v or the previously adjusted .9v) and I no longer get any engine fault codes, however I still notice two things.

1) The shift points are about 200rpms lower (was 1800 now 1600rpm)
2) The tranny stills slips going from 3rd-4th (thus causing the engine rpms to surge big time)

Two questions for you (if I may).

1. Is my TPS within limits? (I thought it should be reading 1.4v @ idle, not < 1v)
2. If my TPS is ok, where should I focus my attention next?
Ive seen them at all different ranges and still work. If you are worried about it then you can replace it, but chances are a new one will be off as well.

I would work with the cable next, but if its a noticeable slip between 3rd and 4th then its a good chance that the overdrive direct clutches are on their way out the door.


Does it just neutralize from 3rd to 4th, or is it just a flare? If youre accerating and when it goes to shift into 4th does it act like nothing is there, or will the tach flare up and then shift?
__________________
Professional Transmission Technician
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:04 PM
 
 
 
Reply




Tags
high rpm, tranny, upshift

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Join DodgeForum
Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Our Sponsors
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:06 AM.

Internet Brands, Inc.


Contact Details & Emails