2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission interchange?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 10:50 AM
anesthes
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After having the servo replaced reverse worked for about two weeks.

Right now it is being overhauled. $2100. They are installing a transgo shift kit, modifying the checkball, and drilling the main shaft for better lube.

Hopefully when I get it back it will last. Comes with a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty.

-- Joe

Old 03-02-2009, 09:29 AM
gipperkid
Veteran

So bringing this thread back, I am in the same boat as 'anesthes'. Only my trans has the bell housing cracked and broken where the starter bolts on. Basically I only need a good case. My trans only has 68k. So I could use any 46RE case? Also since I am going to have the trans out would it be wise to have a shift kit installed?

Old 03-02-2009, 02:06 PM
anesthes

My $2100 turned into $2400 with the solenoids replaced and a new reverse drum as It was wiped out. Fun stuff. Guess I have to keep this RAM for a while to make it worth it.

They did a transgo shift kit on mine, drilled the main shaft, removed the checkball and did the anti drainback fix. Seems ok. They put kind of a loose converter on it I think, it spools to like 2,000 RPMs when plowing a driveway.
Not sure if I like it just yet.

You can't weld your bell housing? I've welded many a cracked bell housing in the past. Anyone with a tig should have no problem.

-- Joe

Quick Reply: Transmission interchange?