2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Converter drain back valve.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2023, 02:23 PM
Mtnmantraps
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converter drain back valve.

Hello 2nd gener's! I have a 1999 Doge Ram 24v and have a leaking heat exchanger. I want to replace the Converter drain back valve and cant seem to find one anywhere?? Any and all help would be appreciative. Thanks.

Old 08-20-2023, 02:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Which heat exchanger?

Leave the check valve for the trans line out. They like to clog, and smoke your trans. There really aren't any drawbacks to it not being there.

Old 08-20-2023, 05:33 PM
Mtnmantraps

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Which heat exchanger?

Leave the check valve for the trans line out. They like to clog, and smoke your trans. There really aren't any drawbacks to it not being there.
Thanks for the reply, Its the round one on the right rear of the block. Its leaking coolant and its not from the hoses. This truck is going into my shop this winter and I'm doing a bunch of front end work to it. The transmissions been rebuilt and I have redone the Valve Body to an updated kit from the first kit. (47re) I have a triple disc locking converter and the new kit I did has it charged all the time. I have read about leaving it out and seen the pros and cons to it. I probably wont get the delay everyone's talking about with the setup i'm running in my valve body. Sp I will give it a try. Have you ever dealt with American Cooling Solutions? They have a good price on the Heat Exchanger.

Old 08-21-2023, 06:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Never heard of 'em. But, I don't do much with der diesels either.

If you did the mod to your valve body to charge the torque converter in park, then the need for the check valve just went away. Even without, it's only a slight delay before the trans catches up. Just put the truck in whatever gear you happen to need, wait a few seconds, then go.

Old 08-21-2023, 09:16 AM
Mtnmantraps

Never heard of 'em. But, I don't do much with der diesels either.

If you did the mod to your valve body to charge the torque converter in park, then the need for the check valve just went away. Even without, it's only a slight delay before the trans catches up. Just put the truck in whatever gear you happen to need, wait a few seconds, then go.
Thanks again for the help. I will leave it out when I get to that project. I'm going to replace the steel lines with hose also.

Old 08-21-2023, 03:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Make sure you secure those lines good...... wouldn't want 'em gettin' wrapped up in something, or ripped off by something.

Old 08-21-2023, 08:24 PM
Mtnmantraps

Make sure you secure those lines good...... wouldn't want 'em gettin' wrapped up in something, or ripped off by something.
Hahaha, Will do. it come as kit from a Diesel shop in Utah. I'm a Mechanic.... Hose management is key... Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Converter drain back valve.