2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help!! 2500 hub removal!!

Old 02-10-2009, 09:49 PM
ptown519
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! 2500 hub removal!!

So I tried to tackle the right side ball joints on my 02' 2500 4x4. I have got it down to the hub. Axle is loose and the 4 bolts behind the hub removed. I have used a air chisel and large hammer all with pb blaster and it won't budge. any ideas??!!

Old 02-10-2009, 09:59 PM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker

eh, i used a hammer and chisel to remove the ones from my 95 half ton, and they were a real bitch to remove
i went in a pattern similar to tightning my lug nuts, it seemed to help
and a word of advice, on the hub bearing assembly, and knuckle, clean up the surfaces where they slip together, and put in some anitsiese

Old 02-10-2009, 10:31 PM
defiantmopar
Rookie

I had the same problem when trying to remove mine. I was able to barrow the removal tool that is normally require to take off the hub bearing assemble which was still a PITA. I bent the plate and accually seperated the bearing assemble. Was A long day. But anyway somewhere I read about using a block of wood and wedging it between the assemble and the knuckle. Then just turning your steering wheel. Just can't remember where I seen that at. Never tried it myself but good luck. May just need a whole lot more of the PB blaster.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:53 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Try threading the 4 back bolts back in most of the way (about a 1/4" from tight) and beat on them to loosen it. Just make sure you beat on a socket instead of the bolt head. Thats how I got them off my half ton.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:19 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Large hammer probably wont cut it!
Took my 2500 to the stealer to get them to install ebc dimpled rotors/pads, shoes as well as one rear cyl. & axle seal, front bearings. Trucks been outside its whole life and I hate working on it in the driveway in winter (shes a bit rusty underneath)
25yr mech (older than me) soaked it and beat on the hubs & drums for over 3hrs with a sledgehammer. Beat the living **** out of them trying to get them to break free. Felt sorry for him till I got the bill lol.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:19 PM
helms
All Star

there is a power steering trick, i dont know the specifics but im sure you can figure it out if you look at it. I helped a mechanic at the dealer do this. if you turn the truck on so you have PS, you can take a socket (not sure what size) and place it in between the hub and housing, then get a friend to turn the wheels to trap the socket and crank really hard while you beat the **** you of the knuckle. you will have to alternate between the front and back of the hub a few times, but it works, i know it does

Old 02-10-2009, 11:48 PM
Kraiger
Veteran

How i did mine was with the 4 bolts in and beat it will a hammer..can try a little heat on the bearing to..but yes they are fun...thats one reason im doing manual hub conversion..pricey yes..but no more hub failures....MAKE SURE when you put the new one in that you put anti-seeze around the part that goes into the knuckle..that helps alot.. as far as a tool goes i have seen a dealer here in to make a slide hammer and uses a rotor that you bolt onto the hub then use the slide hammer to pull it off..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help!! 2500 hub removal!!