2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Climate System Questions

Old 03-11-2009, 03:39 PM
wayfast1500
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Climate System Questions

I purchased my truck in august, I was told it had working A/c, I pointed out during the test drive the A/C was not working, they said it would get fixed. I never got it in writing, but after my tire fell off and I picked up the service records, it said they knew the A/C wasnt working before I even went to look at the truck but the window sticker still said it had working A/c. After recharging the system, I brought it back they said they would diagnose it, they told me the system just needed to be charged. I know that isnt true because the A/c was charged a few months ago and it does not blow cold at all. If I put it on max A/c the compressor kicks on, all the lines are hot, the A/c blows hot as if the heater was on. In the winter the heater does not blow hot it stays luke warm unless I have either the defroster on, or the fan speed below the high position. I think my issue lies within the climate controls, or I have a leak some where in my A/c?

Old 03-11-2009, 03:57 PM
tazman6789
Veteran

Take it back and tell them u want a/c dye put into the system, that way if there is a leak they can take a blacklight and it will light up bright green and u can find ur leak, if its not a leak its possible that u have a clog somewhere in the a/c system itself, sense the compressor is kicking on its not the low pressure switch, cause if that switch goes bad the compressor wont kick cause it tells the cpu not to turn the compressor on cause it thinks its out of fluid. It could also be the compressor, theres alot of things on the a/c system that can cause it not to blow cold, it could be the a/c condensor also. Take it back to the dealer make them figure it out.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:08 PM
wayfast1500
Professional

The told me they would give me a hour diag for free and they supposidly dyed the system, I doubt they did. They just said they would recharge the system I explained it was already recharged, and since my tire fell off the truck at 70mph on the highway 6 weeks after I bought it and in the service record it said they had the same tire off right before I bought it for brake work, and when I brought it in for that hour diag, I picked it up with a cut in my tire, a broken grill, and they did not even close my hood all the way there is no way I trust them working on my truck. Im actually suing them for the A/c since they knew it wasnt working and they advertised it as working, I just want to figure out what it is so I can bring it in to the shop I go to and get a invoice set up.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wayfast1500
The told me they would give me a hour diag for free and they supposidly dyed the system, I doubt they did. They just said they would recharge the system I explained it was already recharged, and since my tire fell off the truck at 70mph on the highway 6 weeks after I bought it and in the service record it said they had the same tire off right before I bought it for brake work, and when I brought it in for that hour diag, I picked it up with a cut in my tire, a broken grill, and they did not even close my hood all the way there is no way I trust them working on my truck. Im actually suing them for the A/c since they knew it wasnt working and they advertised it as working, I just want to figure out what it is so I can bring it in to the shop I go to and get a invoice set up.
  1. Punctuation is your friend
  2. Complete words and coherent sentences are a great help
  3. Who are you "suing", and why?

Old 03-11-2009, 06:06 PM
wayfast1500
Professional

Sorry, I was running out the door when I replied last. Here's a breakdown to whats going on.

I purchased the truck mid-late August of 2008.
-Truck was advertised as having working A/C, on the test drive I told the salesman the A/C was not working, he said it would get fixed but I never got it in writing.
-After I bought the truck they told me to just get it recharged, which I did. The A/C still did not work, the dealership said they won't fix it because there was not enough money from my trade in.

6 weeks later on my way to school the left rear tire fell off on the highway, all 5 studs were sheared off at the same place.
-After my tire fell off I went to the dealership to pick up the service records for the truck. In the service records it said they knew the A/C was not working and needed to be diagnosed. The date on it was less than a week before I bought the truck.

I went to the dealership, I did not say a word about having the window sticker or the service records for the truck. I told the service manager what happened he said there was nothing he could do. I then showed him the service record and window sticker and he changed right around and said he would give me a hour diagnostic for free. I let them diagnose the truck, they said it needed to be recharged, I told him it already was recharged, they said that was all they would do.

This same shop overtorqued my lug nuts, and even tho the brake backer plate was 1/4 of the way ground off, and all 5 studs were snapped off they tried to tell me that I made the whole thing up and my tire never fell off. I told him to call the state trooper who pulled up behind me, then they tried telling me I was doing roll backs at 8am on the highway, which caused all the studs to snap. I explained the truck is one wheel peel and the drive tire would have been the one to break if that were the case, but instead it was the left tire.

Since they will not repair the A/C, and told me they will only recharge it I contacted my lawyer who told me to get the A/C diagnosed and take them to small claims court.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:37 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

Get two estimates ... keep COPIOUS notes ... keep records of EVERYTHING. You never know what the judge will ask for. Was there any kind of written guarantee on the truck? What state?

Old 03-11-2009, 09:45 PM
wayfast1500
Professional

So far I have the service records showing they knew the A/C was not working before I bought it, I have the window sticker showing all the options they said the truck has, I have their estimate of what could be causing the issues. The truck was sold to me state inspected only (New Hampshire) with a limited warentee. I believe it was 1 month or 1,000 miles and they covered half labor and parts.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:48 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

Get two OUTSIDE estimates ... and go here: http://doj.nh.gov/consumer/sourcebook/autos_used.html

Old 03-11-2009, 10:52 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

does the compressor cycle? It may have been ran out of oil and the cylinder in might have seized up.
you could try to put a small can of the oil recharge in it to see if that helps.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:37 AM
wayfast1500
Professional

Thanks for that resource, and yes the compressor does come on and cycle.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Climate System Questions