2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Knocking noise somewhere between engine and transmission

Old 02-16-2009, 01:13 PM
madmax0r
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Knocking noise somewhere between engine and transmission

Howdy

I have been trying to track down this damn knocking noise for a long time now. I have herd all kinds of different theories over the last 3 weeks.

people thought it was a valve because I have a somewhat rough idle, then some thought it was a spun bearing knocking, the idle is a different problem entirely.. I also hear a slight vacuum leak

I took it to a shop today and he told me that its 100% not the engine, its coming from the torque converter/transmission

I also learned (not to my surprise) that this is not my original tranny.

My tranny is still shifting ok, and performs well, Has anyone had they're tranny make a knocking noise randomly? as far as I can tell, its not affecting its function

It pretty much does it at idle in park

thanks as always

Old 02-16-2009, 01:16 PM
dillonjm
Veteran

Take your shift lever and pull it back like you're going to shift it but dont change ranges fully.

If it goes away when you do this, its your shift linkage vibrating and making a knocking noise. Mine does the same damn thing, I just havent gotten around to replacing the bushings on the torque shaft.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:25 PM
madmax0r
Professional

interesting,

mines definitely internal though =/

Old 02-16-2009, 01:40 PM
Erik Kuijvenhoven
Professional

Yeah I have that I dont know why but when im driving in the city and I accelerate and as the truck shifts smoothly into 2nd gear if i doesnt have to go into 3rd and I slow down it'll make a loud knock allways and sometimes when im slowing down from any speed (when i have been past 3rd) itll do it its like its getting stuck in 2nd is that kinda what u got ?

Old 02-16-2009, 01:43 PM
madmax0r
Professional

Mine is a knock like that, but it sounds more like an engine knock. only while im at idle in park or i think neutral as well,

this is why I was doing all this research on my engine.. lol

I just can't immagine what could be flying around in my tranny knocking against things. maybe its just gear teeth banging back in fourth while they arn't doing anything.. dunno

sigh...

Old 02-16-2009, 01:51 PM
helms
All Star

I have replaced Flexplates that have cracked at the hub. Sometimes when the transmission is installed, either at the factory or privatly, a peice of wire loom or wire or something gets pinched between one corner of the engine block and the bell housing of the transmission. This makes for a bit of an angle that, when the TC is bolted up, the flexplate has to make up for. this sounds minimal, but remember that it is turning hundreds of thousands of times per day, when its distorted and has a bit of stress applied to it, it will eventually crack. it makes almost the same knocking noise as a bearing in the engine.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:53 PM
helms
All Star

Originally Posted by Erik Kuijvenhoven
Yeah I have that I dont know why but when im driving in the city and I accelerate and as the truck shifts smoothly into 2nd gear if i doesnt have to go into 3rd and I slow down it'll make a loud knock allways and sometimes when im slowing down from any speed (when i have been past 3rd) itll do it its like its getting stuck in 2nd is that kinda what u got ?
this one sounds like a u-joint, or i have also worn out splines in the tansfercase yoke of the driveshaft

Old 02-16-2009, 02:04 PM
madmax0r
Professional

Originally Posted by helms
I have replaced Flexplates that have cracked at the hub. Sometimes when the transmission is installed, either at the factory or privatly, a peice of wire loom or wire or something gets pinched between one corner of the engine block and the bell housing of the transmission. This makes for a bit of an angle that, when the TC is bolted up, the flexplate has to make up for. this sounds minimal, but remember that it is turning hundreds of thousands of times per day, when its distorted and has a bit of stress applied to it, it will eventually crack. it makes almost the same knocking noise as a bearing in the engine.

This seems to make alot of sense to me, lemme give you one more detail I have herd. I asked that mechanic If it could be the flexplate, and he said he thought it probably wasn't because it went away when in drive. he says flex plate noise usualy gets worse in gear.. not sure if thats a hard fact or not

Ill also inquire as to how serious is a cracked flex plate? i mean it drives fine... so whatever? or is it gonna let go and throw metal into my feet while im driving?

Last edited by madmax0r; 02-16-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:22 PM
helms
All Star

well this would depend on where the crack is. sometimes when in neutral, it will rattle because its sortof loose, but when you put it in gear, it puts a load on it and tighens up and stops the rattling. if you were to start to drive and get to a speed and take your foot off the throttle, it would loosen up again and rattle, even cruising with minimal load would make it rattle.

As for how serious? well as an example. I did one that has 6, 3/8 bolt holes for the crank, and directly surrounding those are 6, 1" holes, i dont know what they are for, probobly for "flexing" lol. Anyway, the metal between 3 of the 1" holes had cracked, joining the holes, so in reality, there was only about 3" of metal holding the hub of the plate to the TC.

I would probobly diagnose and fix this ASAP.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:22 PM
trucklover
Veteran

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2000/21-12-00.htm

(This goes with post #2 above)

Last edited by trucklover; 02-16-2009 at 03:10 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Knocking noise somewhere between engine and transmission