2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46RE DIY Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 12:10 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure to keep everything very clean...good luck. I have thought of this as well, since you can get a sweet rebuild kit for around $600.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:23 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ram2K1
Make sure to keep everything very clean...good luck. I have thought of this as well, since you can get a sweet rebuild kit for around $600.
Please define "sweet rebuild kit". This isn't a slam at you, I'm just overall tired of people who post in automotive forums about kits, deals, and the like but never follow-up with critical information, such as where these items can be purchased. Some say, "Well, search the web". Funny thing is, I may not enter the same search parameters whereas you may have found the "sweet deal" purely by accident while searching for something else.

So please, help a fellow owner out by naming the source, including a link, and also be completely descriptive of what all is included. AFIK, a torque converter wouldn't be included in that deal. Then again, I could be wrong.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:50 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker

I was looking on this site:

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/dodge.htm

Check out kit #K4...

Here's what it says:

"#K4. Fits Dodge 518 / 618 / 46RE / 46RH / 47RE / 47RH, 1994 - 2002. You get the Alto master rebuild kit with all four sets of RedEagle clutches and all four sets of Kolene steels. It comes with a direct clutch PowerPack with 5 clutches and the a Carbon flex band. This band is 2 1/8 inches wide. Plus a Transgo stage 2 Shift Kit. Transgo Shift Kits instantly reprogram automatic transmissions for high performance and durability. This is the master kit we use in our performance Viper transmissions. You get the #1HE Alto master rebuild kit with all Red Eagle clutches, direct Power Pack and all Kolene steels, the #4K Carbon Fiber flex band and the #2 Transgo stage 2 Shift Kit. All three for $443.00."

Is that not what I think it is?

Last edited by Ram2K1; 03-16-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:03 PM
Gary-L
Legend

^^HAH! I have that same website bookmarked but haven't been able to make heads or tales out of what I need to buy. You are right about their having sweet deals.

*sigh* My transmission is in dire need of a rebuild; however, funds prohibit that. Plus, I'm waiting for one of you guys to post up pics of a rebuild!

Old 03-16-2009, 01:21 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker

I don't need a rebuild yet *knock on wood*, but when I do I am going to give these guys a call. If I get there before you, I will let you know what they say...or, I may just call them anyway to see what they recommend.

EDIT: Sent them an inquiry via email...

Last edited by Ram2K1; 03-16-2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:33 PM
Gary-L
Legend

I don't need a rebuild yet *knock on wood*, but when I do I am going to give these guys a call. If I get there before you, I will let you know what they say...or, I may just call them anyway to see what they recommend.

EDIT: Sent them an inquiry via email...
Awesome. Keep your findings in this thread for all of our sakes. I'll for darn sure post up whatever I do when I hit that point.

In case you care (and even if you don't), I dropped the transmission out of my 1972 VW Beetle yesterday. 5 bolts and it's out One of the mounts is broken and the case is caked with dirt/grease. Debating on cleaning it, refilling it, and installing new mounts or doing a teardown.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:04 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker

Okay, here's what you get for $443:

-4 sets of Red Eagle clutches
-4 sets of Kolene steels
-Direct clutch Power Pack with 5 clutches*
-2 1/8" carbon flex band
-Transgo Stage 2 shift kit

*Requires 1 extra clutch and 1 extra steel to fit a 5 clutch direct drum

On top of that, PATC says you would need a tq converter and any other parts that are bad.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:09 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
*sigh* My transmission is in dire need of a rebuild; however, funds prohibit that. Plus, I'm waiting for one of you guys to post up pics of a rebuild!
Do you have a 46RE or 46RH? Would the manual for the 46RH linked to in the F.A.Q. section help? How much difference could there be between the RH and the RE ... clutch and band wise?

Old 03-16-2009, 03:27 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Okay, here's what you get for $443:

-4 sets of Red Eagle clutches
-4 sets of Kolene steels
-Direct clutch Power Pack with 5 clutches*
-2 1/8" carbon flex band
-Transgo Stage 2 shift kit

*Requires 1 extra clutch and 1 extra steel to fit a 5 clutch direct drum

On top of that, PATC says you would need a tq converter and any other parts that are bad.
But what about the pistons and all that? As I understand it, there's a piston that regulates fluid flow, and it's of such a bad design it will turn sideways in the bore. Aftermarket pistons are much taller to prevent that from occurring.

Originally Posted by TMS Bill
Do you have a 46RE or 46RH? Would the manual for the 46RH linked to in the F.A.Q. section help? How much difference could there be between the RH and the RE ... clutch and band wise?

Don't know which one I have. I'd still like the proper rebuild manual.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:58 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker

I assumed by their answer that you would just have to know what all parts are bad by looking at them and go ahead and buy all those as well...but I can get a Viper tranny from them for my truck for $2399 without sending in the old one, which I assume would take it down around $2K or lower with mine as a core...not bad.

Quick Reply: 46RE DIY Rebuild