2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:16 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cooling System Guides
Print Wikipost

Coolant Flush

Old 02-21-2009, 11:01 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Flush

I'm looking to get a coolant flush for my truck very soon. I've owned this truck for almost 2 years and I've never addressed the coolant system. Also, how often should a vehicle have a coolant flush? And, is this a job worthy of doing myself, or should I just have a shop do it?

If it is something worthy of doing myself, can anybody offer some steps I can take to make sure I do the coolant flush correctly? Thank You.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:09 PM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain

Well, any job is worthy of doing yourself. The real question is, do you want to pay someone else to do a job you can do yourself.

If you have downloaded the 2001 FSM, take a look at it first before you start the job. If you haven't downloaded it yet, then please do so because it will answer a lot questions like "how often should a vehicle have a coolant flush?"

After the initial flush at 52,500 miles (Sched. A), Chrysler recommends changes every 30,000 miles so you are probably past due. If you do it yourself, then you have to contend with disposing the old coolant. In my area, we are allowed to flush it down the commode because our waste water treatment system can handle anything that's in the coolant. I don't know what the regs are in Maine. If you do it yourself, then I would remove the thermostat and back flush the block and radiator seperately from the heater core, then back-flush the heater core with very low pressure water. It's not that hard to do. But if you don't want to fool with it, then there is nothing wrong with paying a shop do it.

As for coolant, there is the tried and true green stuff and the orange stuff (Dexcool). There has been some issues with Dexcool eating the old style composition head gaskets, so I would recommend getting the green stuff. Probably cheaper anyway.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:30 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Advance sells 5 yr/150K mile coolant, so I would suggest that...and a tester is a good investment. That way, you can just see if it's still good before doing a flush. I've seen some people who do it every year, but I think that's overkill. It all depends on what you want to do...if you have the time. Personally, when it comes to that stuff I don't really trust shops. Maybe I'm too paranoid, but there are a lot of shady places out there.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:11 PM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont forget, right under your heads there are drain plugs too if you want to take them out and get a little better flush........they also sell coolant flush that you run for a few days to break everything up

Old 02-21-2009, 04:33 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I wouldn't use any type of cleaner that breaks any thing up. You'll wind up clogging the heater core. If you want to just change the fluid, use the drain plug on the radiator or remove the lower hose to drain. And replace with new fluid and be done with it. But on the other hand, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:52 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

Originally Posted by 01DodgeRam360
I'm looking to get a coolant flush for my truck very soon. I've owned this truck for almost 2 years and I've never addressed the coolant system. Also, how often should a vehicle have a coolant flush? And, is this a job worthy of doing myself, or should I just have a shop do it?

If it is something worthy of doing myself, can anybody offer some steps I can take to make sure I do the coolant flush correctly? Thank You.
I wouldnt do it yourself, because at this point...2 years into it....you havent learned one iota of advice anyone has given you and you probably havent bought a wrench or even a screw driver in that time...stick with the shops its what you do.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:10 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

+1, I just didn't want to go there. That's why I said if it ain't broke don't fix it! It's like you just look for problems.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:41 PM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

he did say coolant FLUSH, not change, which would be to remove any deposits and such

Old 02-21-2009, 06:10 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Whatever! This kid has a way of making a mountain out of a mole hill. He will pay some one to flush the system, then there will be no heat or something.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:46 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

If we could please be adults here and eliminate the erroneous attacks, it'd be much appreciated. I am opening my ears to those who are here to help me, not criticize me. And for the record; I do have tools. I purchased a sears 283 piece tool set last fall, and have done several jobs with it.

Rex-TheDOGG, would you be willing to provide a little more step by step instructions how to do this? Thank You

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coolant Flush