2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My Truck won't stay running without throttle

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 04:40 PM
Little_Blue
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Truck won't stay running without throttle

Hey guys I'm new to the forum and having a problem. I just had my truck sitting for about a month before I swapped out the rear axle. My differential blew out. But after letting it sit for so long, the battery went dead on, so I tried to jump it off a couple of time. Every time I was able to get it to start but I had to give it gas. But as soon as I let off the throttle it would die on me. I was able to hold the engine at 1000 RPM's and it would stay running and double peddle it into drive and drive it around my apt. complex. But as soon as I got it in a parking spot and let off the gas it died again. I'm going to have the alternator and battery tested tonight when I get out of work and it was suggested to me that it my be the ignition coil, its a $35 part so if the battery and alternator check good I'm just gonna grab one and throw it on. Anyone have any suggestions as to what may be the problem?

Old 02-23-2009, 05:18 PM
dodgeman22
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the computer got reset, just take it for a good drive it will relearn and you will be fine

Old 02-23-2009, 05:28 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

this is a common problem following dead batteries. i don't know why, but it seems that unless all the electronics have whatever full voltage they're expecting, then the idle is out of whack. some people report that it straightens out after installing a new battery, others never report back in.

i see you're up in the cold. try letting your battery charge up, maybe put it on a charger. maybe even reset the pcm again after the battery is recharged.

typically, when the pcm is reset, it reverts to default settings, and those are fine. i reset my pcm all the time, without a problem. but - my battery is good, so that might have something to do with it.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:29 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

Not buying the coil explaination ... it would be bad at any throttle position. I'm thinking that since it won't idle ... the IAC has stuck. A good TB cleaning may be in order ... or maybe the battery thing.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:07 PM
Erik Kuijvenhoven
Professional

Try fuel filter as well I did after letting my truck sit over the winter and it helped allot with idling

Old 02-23-2009, 07:36 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

What fuel filter?

Old 02-23-2009, 09:28 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think you should try the idle air controler, it is the little thing in the back of the TB, held in by two screws, and also try the collent temp sensor. mine went and i had the same things going...

the other thing you can try is that long drive thing, but if your coolent temp sensor is bad. it wont run for very long...

Old 02-23-2009, 09:42 PM
ben2080

What you described is exactly what happened when my battery died.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:40 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

my truck has done the same thing that you described and just dies if I let the battery die, now, I let the truck run for a few minutes, run the rpms all the way through the powerband a few times, let it come close to dying and kick it back up right before it does, and after a few rounds of that it runs perfectly, my truck runs like a champ and has no issues when it drives, but still does this, so my guess is that you really dont have any problems.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:41 PM
TruckinDodge
Professional

charge the battery or replace it if it is bad and you will be fine. Any time these trucks have a dead battery they don't want to run. I have had the experience of this twice. Once when I first got the truck, it and the battery had been sitting for 4 years and again when I left my dome light on all day and half the night. The second time I had to let it charge up on the battery cables for 30 minutes with the engine running before I trusted the truck to make it home.

I have also read of this same problem several times since reading dodge forms.

Quick Reply: My Truck won't stay running without throttle