2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

overdrive switch BROKEN?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 12:01 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by helms
the light itself will illuminate with the rest of the idiot lights when you first turn the key on, the reason they light up is so you can check to make sure the bulbs are all operational, if you cant find the proper light during startup, then its burnt out. but this is just to check the condition of the bulb, it has nothing to do with the acual O/D override switch
Oops ... that's the one light that does not do a power-on test. I looked for it when I was performing an operational check. I wonder what genius at Dodge dreamed THAT up.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:32 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Trust me when I say It has +3 in it. +4 came out in 98. I have a 97 and +3 has always been used. The OD button works, I found out, but the bulb is burnt out. Is the bulb within the switch? Can it be changed, or is it one unit with the OD button? Has anyone switch from+3 to +4 and suffered leaks from it? ...and always, thanks for any and all help given everyone!

Old 03-02-2009, 03:54 PM
JackJ
Captain

Ya know, on my 96 there is no idiot light in the gauge cluster, it is on my swith. I have button right next to the fog light button.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:23 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

D'oh ... stupid Dodge ... one of the changes in `98.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:48 PM
J415
Champion

Originally Posted by JackJ
Ya know, on my 96 there is no idiot light in the gauge cluster, it is on my swith. I have button right next to the fog light button.
Yeah, same here. 97 was the cut off point. Then Dodge switched up the style on various smaller things. But thats what I was saying. the on/off light that indicates if it's on or off is busted on mine. Does anyone else with a 94-97 ram have the same problem? It just kills me to have something on my truck that doesn't work when it's suppose to.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:19 AM
sfj
Default Over drive lock out switch

I don't know where else to post this but it is related sort of to what you guys are talking about. I have a 1998 Dodge Durango four wheel drive SUV. The end switch broke off exposing bare metal and I almost cut my hand off. The lever is on the column.
My husband epoxied it back on so I am able to still put the vehicle in park, drive, etc. but I know the epoxy is not going to hold up forever. We live in Florida.
I called my local Dodge dealership and was told that I could either buy just the end switch or the entire lever. The end switch still works but I am concerned that the lever metal is weak so I'm opting to purchase the entire lever. I know it contains wires for the tranny and hopefully my husband will be able to replace the old one with the new.
Have any of you ever done this and if so, was it a pain in the butt? Do you think I should just buy the end switch for twenty bucks or buy the entire lever for eighty five plus the end switch?

Old 08-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker

I would just replace the switch, I've never seen an auto transmission handle break before, unless you are doing some serious cranking on it

I imagine these are probably almost the same as in the Rams, but you might have better luck here in the Durango section https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-durango-69/

Good luck with it!

Old 08-04-2010, 11:44 AM
J415
Champion

WOW, talk about resurrecting the dead?!

Old 09-14-2010, 04:39 PM
wiseguyles
Default overdrive

overdrive button not working. test button with meter no different in meters reading .take button out of shifter and pull ur button apart i found lint in mine clean and put back. mine works fine now.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:53 PM
J415
Champion

Yeah, we pretty much covered this topic.

Quick Reply: overdrive switch BROKEN?