2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering/Front end Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 07:38 PM
Silver1500
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering/Front end Issues

I tried using the search for this, maybe i am blind and couldnt find it, but i didnt see anything with the same problems im having...
Sooo, my problem is: My truck wanders all over the road, bump steer is terrible, and the steering has a very disconnected feel. I havent driven the truck much lately, I have been driving my/my dads 06 power wagon (long story... we split it lol). But i went from the power wagon, (nice and tight, steering feel is great and weighted almost perfectly even in a big heavy truck) and got in my 01, and i was amazed at how bad it was. Its hard to describe the steering, it is heavy at times, and when the truck wonders i can turn the wheel to correct it, and it seems like theres a huge dead spot in the steering then all of a sudden it catches and i have to correct the other direction. I am not sure where to start but I would like to correct this before i get pulled over for suspicion of DUI. again. lol.
I think my steering box has something to do with the issue, as well as maybe the steering stabilizer, but i think its gotta be a combination of several things. Hopefully some guys on the forum can offer some help?
Thank you in advance!!

Old 03-02-2009, 12:52 AM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

Steering stab doesn't factor in this. I'm going to assume it's a 4x4 so ... the trackbar is notorious for wearing out early. It sounds like you're on the verge of dealing with the dreaded "death wobble". It could be any number of suspension/steering components (if it moves ... suspect it) but the trackbar is a good place to start.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:30 AM
Frank21x

I too have this issue with wandering on my truck and is pretty scary when I'm going down a narrow lane road next to a barrier or a semi truck for that matter. the lift kit I installed on mine came with a new trackbar and I put a 3/4 ton steering linkage on it to beef it up while I was there. it still was pretty wobbly and had the dead zone. I even put a remanufactured steering box in, which did actually help quite a bit, but it's still there. I also changed out the steering shaft from the box to the output shaft on the firewall from the wheel. I'm out of ideas on what else to change on this damn thing.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:47 AM
Wickedwiggles
Veteran

1- Trac bar + Moog, Thuren Fabrications, Dt- Profab = nice
2- Tie Rod, 4 in all plus adjuster sleeves (moog) = even nicer
3- Steering Gearbox- I can only find a1 cardone = ok
4- Solid Steering Nut replaces crappy factoryone = alright
5- Sway bar- ya can do the ends or the whole bar but its least likely problem.

This is the steps I did in replacing my steering, unfortunately I hydrolocked my motor and tranny before I could really test em out

Old 03-02-2009, 01:56 AM
Frank21x

the last thing I can think of trying is ditching the tie rods and doing the heim joint way.. that should be a real fun project

Old 03-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Silver1500
Professional

I have heard alot about the "death wobble" but im not sure exactly what it entails or what to look for... I looked over my steering stuff under the truck, the steering box appears to be leaking out the bottom seal and it has the whole sway bar covered in greasy stuff...
I was thinking about a trac bar, and i looked into a Thuren unit but I dont know if I can justify the cost. I just replaced my sway bar ends about 6 months ago or so. I appreciate the advice, and ill keep you guys posted on what i end up doing...
Also, does anyone know of a company that offers a front end "kit" for these trucks?
A friend of mine got a kit for his ford (as a gift), it included new bushings and tie rod ends etc, pretty much whatever could be worn out in the front end.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:30 AM
b.david.ray

HI, I am in the process of completely building up a 97 ram and i have done alot of reading on the steering geometry. Everybody has this problem. There are 2 main issues: The way the 2nd gen steering was set up was weak. It needed to have a brace from the factory. As far as steering boxes, the factory box is a piece of junk too. There is 1 new style of box that everyone is raving about and it is a Borgeson, cant remember the nomenclature. Its around $375 and you also need to by a $120 steering shaft and you absolutely need to by a steering brace of some type, especially if you have a lift. After installing those, the steering will be perfect. One more thing, If you haven't done it recently, change the ball joints. That willl definately cause the front end to wanderer. And while your at it, go ahead and change the front wheel hubs, they are cheap and they are 1 piece. You do all that everything will be perfect. I lied, one more thing is the tie rods, if they are worn out, you need to either replace them, or switch to DOM Tube and Hiem joints. Alot of people will say that is not how the truck was setup, but they are idiots. Just make sure if you pursue that path, you align the drag link, which is not the proper name if you go with the dom, but the track bar and the link from the pitman arm to the passenger knuckle must be parallel. If not you will have horrible bump steer. Also try to have both the track bar, Panard Bar, and drag link as close to paralell to the ground as possible. It will make it feel better. But just remember the most important thing is you have to install a steering brace, that alone will probably fix 80% of your problem. Hope i was some help.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

There is also the redhead steering box.

Replacing the shaft isn't required, but, the borgeson unit IS much better than the stock piece.

Heim joints aren't necessary either. However, changing to an 08.5 crossover steering setup would eliminate a lot of the issues with the stock steering system.

Steering brace isn't a bad idea.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:09 PM
nmrockcrawler

Let me say this also.... don't use cheap parts. Use good parts. I just went through all this and got my ball joints from rockauto and 3 months later had to replace them again. Used moog and it's great. And I only have 3"s of lift and 315x75x17 tires. Good luck

Old 01-03-2013, 10:22 PM
95BIGRED
Professional

I have a lot of play too, I replaced my steering box and it mad a small difference. Get under it have someone turn your wheel back and forth just past the point of where it actually catches and watch your steerng box/pitman arm area, if its anything like mine you'll see alot of play right there. You can get a brace for about 150 online. I had to take my pitman arm off and put a washer on to take up some of the slack I still have some play but I haven't had a truck without it some im pretty used to it. Drive it like a boat lol only correct when you need too.

Quick Reply: Steering/Front end Issues