2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Check Gages light

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 06:59 PM
ReadRam
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be the sending unit. My old 99 had sludge blocking the pick up screen and did the same thing as yours. Only sure way to tell is put a mechanical gauge where the sendin unit goes and see what oil pressure really is.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:48 PM
Dodgethis77
Default 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel Chech Gauges light.

I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel. The check gauges light came on the other day, along with oil pressure gauge not working, as if the truck is off. the truck still runs fine, no chugging or anything. Maybe Oil sending unit. anyone come across this before?

Old 09-24-2014, 02:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

The oil pressure sending units on these trucks (and many other vehicles) just suck. Try swapping it out, and see what happens. If you are still getting zero pressure, put a mechanical gauge on it, and see what IT says. If you still have zero pressure, stop driving it, and find out why.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:23 AM
Dodgethis77

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The oil pressure sending units on these trucks (and many other vehicles) just suck. Try swapping it out, and see what happens. If you are still getting zero pressure, put a mechanical gauge on it, and see what IT says. If you still have zero pressure, stop driving it, and find out why.
Is it the "oil sending unit"? Or the Engine Oil Pressure Switch. One is $30 and the other is almost $200.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:50 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Ouch..... Think I would have a look at the one on the motor, go to the parts store, and see what they have. "switch" generally implies you just have an idiot light, but, there is no consistency in nomenclature for this kind of thing.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:44 AM
wraith11
Default Check Gauges Light

Notice this a couple of times in the last few days. If I turn the truck off and re-start it, it goes away.

The coolant level is fine and I had the oil changed two days ago.

Any idea what this is for? Doesn't seem to be anything wrong as the truck runs and drives fine.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Check your engine temp, oil pressure, and volt gauge. Those are the ones the "check gauges" lite pays attention to. Mine ignores the fuel gauge, I have a separate lite for that.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:45 AM
dodgedakota98luver
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the oil pressure gauge drops check gauges light will come on it’s supposed to do that. You either have A no oil pressure Or B a faulty sending unit/short in the wiring. Hope for the latter of the 2. You can always have a shop hook up a manual pressure gauge and get a true reading. My old 98 has a short somewhere I need to address. Oil pressure goes to nothing when you hit a bump just right and check gauges comes on ding ding then right back off again. Hooked up a manual gauge to it and pressure is steady so I’m not worried. Low oil will cause it to come on if you get in a weird angle or turn really sharp from the oil pump sucking air for a second.

Old 02-10-2019, 11:39 AM
onephat66

Originally Posted by TMS Bill
You'll only see the "Check Gauges" light when there is a gauge indicating a bad condition. It's a Master Caution light. There is nothing wrong with the gauges ... they're trying to tell you that there's something wrong with the truck. Asking why you're getting a "Check Gauges" light is like saying, "I have a 'Check Engine Light' ... what's causing it"? We need more information.
That's not completely true. Check gauges light can come on if there is a problem with the gauges. Every so often I can start my '05 Hemi 1500 2WD, and the check gauges light comes on and usually the oil pressure needle hadn't moved. I shut it off, restart and immediate oil pressure and check gauges light is off. This would not be an oil pump or oil level issue, and not a wiring problem, so only thing left is oil pressure gauge issue.

Old 02-10-2019, 01:13 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by onephat66
That's not completely true. Check gauges light can come on if there is a problem with the gauges. Every so often I can start my '05 Hemi 1500 2WD, and the check gauges light comes on and usually the oil pressure needle hadn't moved. I shut it off, restart and immediate oil pressure and check gauges light is off. This would not be an oil pump or oil level issue, and not a wiring problem, so only thing left is oil pressure gauge issue.
Not to be rude here but it does not come on if the gauges are faulty only if they don't move which in your case it sees it as having no oil pressure beefier the gauge didn't move

Quick Reply: Check Gages light