2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4WD light not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 11:09 PM
madmax0r
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol, didn't see that... good idea by the way!

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
i think the 4wd light comes on during the gauge test.
hold odometer trip meter in while turning key to "on" and continue to hold it in a couple more seconds till the odometer says CHEK.

4wd light switch is on drivers end of CAD. check, unplug, clean out the mud.
jumpering the 2 wires should illuminate the light on the dash.
switch is easily replaceable for about $20 or less, avail at autozone and everywhere else.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:14 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
i think the 4wd light comes on during the gauge test.
hold odometer trip meter in while turning key to "on" and continue to hold it in a couple more seconds till the odometer says CHEK.

4wd light switch is on drivers end of CAD. check, unplug, clean out the mud.
jumpering the 2 wires should illuminate the light on the dash.
switch is easily replaceable for about $20 or less, avail at autozone and everywhere else.
I checked earlier this evening ... the 4WD light only lights up when the CAD is actually engaged ... even during the cluster test ... how useless is that?

Old 03-08-2009, 11:17 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by madmax0r
Hey,

take the connector off the front axle switch and put a piece of wire that jumpers it, see if the light comes on. that pretty much confirms that its a fuse or a bulb
You mean "pretty much confirms it's the switch", right? Yeah ... that's what you meant.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:17 PM
madmax0r
Professional

they probably made it a separate circuit because not all trucks have 4x4. its like an add on option when they're building it.

its just a cheap *** approach. that way they don't have to have different electronics for the 4x4 models.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:19 PM
madmax0r
Professional

haha,

I have been drinking for several hours. you should prolly just ignore any further comments from me for a while... lol

If you think about it, It just determines what it is, if it lights up, its the switch, If it doesn't, its the light or fuse. so i guess we're both right? lol

Old 03-09-2009, 06:45 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by madmax0r
haha,

I have been drinking for several hours. you should prolly just ignore any further comments from me for a while... lol

If you think about it, It just determines what it is, if it lights up, its the switch, If it doesn't, its the light or fuse. so i guess we're both right? lol

Or, it could be the wire is pinched/cut... which is what I suspect. I will un-hook the connector and jump it to see if the bulb shines again... if not, I'ma thinkn' the wire is cut somewhere's.

Thanks for all the replies fellas.

Quick Reply: 4WD light not working