2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

electric cooling fan

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 10:31 AM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

idk...i believe the stock amps for our alternators are like 90amps...but with the other stuff its powering...i dont think it would be sufficient enough to handle the load of the fans and everything else all at once, multiple times.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:45 AM
dodgiee
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, it is more costly for diesel. Too bad I'm using a diesel one.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:24 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

some of the alts are 90 stock, some are more........mine is a 90 and ive had my fan on for a couple of months and im still good.....if im idling at night and it kicks on my lights dim a bit but no too bad

Old 06-03-2009, 03:26 PM
hutch1973
Captain

Originally Posted by wjxavier
idk...i believe the stock amps for our alternators are like 90amps...but with the other stuff its powering...i dont think it would be sufficient enough to handle the load of the fans and everything else all at once, multiple times.
I'll look into that this weekend, take some amp draw readings on my truck. Been curious about it anyway since I put my amp/system in. I know from my build sheet my truck has a 117 amp alternator, which I'm assuming is because of the SLT package and heated/powered mirrors.

I'll start a fan research thread this weekend to document everything I'm doing. Want to put up pics and physically show people what it is so it can be used for reference whenever the electric fan question comes up down the line. If all goes well, come fall, no one will be throwing around 3300-3500 cfm for ratings.

For the record, to date, best airflow charts I've found from the aftermarket do come from Haydenauto.com, which rates the 5.2/5.9 gas engines at 2500 cfm with 'no' restriction. The actual fans they recommend show 1050 each when up against the radiator. My prelim. testing is going to focus on getting 2000 cfm through the radiator, which I believe will work fine, since I believe their 1050 each against the radiator stat is a bit high.

They also do not list anything for V-10's or diesels, stating the air requirements are too high. Found it interesting to look up the Lincoln stats for electric fans, the one that seems to be the junk yard choice on here, and found the Lincoln has the exact rating as the Dodge, which is why no one has had any issues with that. That's about a 2300 cfm fan. I think those fans pull too many amps for my taste though.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:11 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hutch1973
They also do not list anything for V-10's or diesels, stating the air requirements are too high.
I think it has more to do with the fact that many diesel/V10 owners tow a lot and a fan that works fine on an unloaded diesel/V10 might not be up to the task of cooling a towing setup.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:54 PM
hutch1973
Captain

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
I think it has more to do with the fact that many diesel/V10 owners tow a lot and a fan that works fine on an unloaded diesel/V10 might not be up to the task of cooling a towing setup.
That's what I figured too. I bet you could do a set up as long as it wasn't being used as a 5th wheel or anything extreme, but from a liability standpoint, understand why they wouldn't publish that data.

I'll keep digging, had more numbers jotted down I pulled off a website catalog somewhere, but lost the damn thing already. Part of starting a thread is putting it up a.s.a.p, since my desk is a disaster area right now.

I've seen general guidelines of 2500 cfm small block, 3500+ big block. Once they get into big blocks there is no real majority opinion, but I've only checked out about a half dozen vendors.

Been sporadic with the time I've devoted to this, but in the middle of a mess trying to buy a house, and it's been a headache and then some.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:23 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

we all appreciate what you're doing. take your time with it. we're all patient here, or at least, some of us are i think lol. family life comes first.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:43 PM
ron333
Captain

Great price, wish they would list the amps though.
I was curious so I emailed that question to them. They emailed me back saying it runs at 13.5 amps. I also asked them if the motor was ball bearing or not... they didn't know.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:05 PM
hutch1973
Captain

Originally Posted by ron333
I was curious so I emailed that question to them. They emailed me back saying it runs at 13.5 amps. I also asked them if the motor was ball bearing or not... they didn't know.
Amps seem high, and that's my fear with a cheaper fan. This will be my first test fan:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

IF it moves the 2000 cfm, and only pulls 8, might be the best bang for the buck out there, but we'll see.

As far as this research, it works well for me to do it this summer. Currently studying for an engineering exam in September. This little side project goes hand in hand with that, allows me to apply some principals that I normally can't do in the field, and 'refresh' my brain on things I learned years ago but forgot over time.

Old 10-15-2016, 01:57 AM
olefart

I have a 96 360 B3500 camper van and I live in the hilly state of Wyoming, and make trips down to AZ. in the winter. also have a boat that I have to pull up and down the small rises in elevation well mostly up and up oh and up. anyway high temps were normal 210 to 220. and the worse times were in the cities where all you have is the engine fan, in AZ when it gets warm and your in traffic the temps can scare you .
So from summit I got a electric dual fan that fits my radiator. The brackets, fancy plastic things had no use for them, had to get the 1" flat bar with the holes about 1/8" thick cut 4 of them 4" long and used them with my old shroud bolt holes it pulled the rubber gasket on the fan shroud up against the radiator for a snug fit.
When I first started it up I had some issues, with when the fans came on and how long they ran. turned out that when and where I pushed the temp sensor it was loose and some how my chubby hands pushed it too far in and that was causing the problems of when it came on and shut off.
Setting the probe so only the tip was showing, coming through radiator, it was reading the air temp between the radiator and the ac condenser, sensor is the very end behind the tip.
With a laser temp sensor I now have a 185 opening temp, the fan now starts about 195ish about 205 it gets to full speed and shuts down when the temps get back to 190.
Only runs a few minutes at a time and I don't believe ive seen more then 200 degrees since putting this in. we've had a couple of weeks of a slight breeze around 35 to 50 mph so I thought I would wait for a better weather to haul the boat up the hills to the lakes, they kind of make you drop out of overdrive to keep from blowing things up, in 3rd I can do the limit 70 on the hwy 80 for the big road, that will test your cooling system.
My opinion is go with the electric fans that you can afford, take the time go see what you can get at the parts/salvage yards. Mine cost 450 bucks new, so building your own would be lot cheaper but you will pull your hair out trying to get the shrouds to fit to make the air flow through the fans not around them. not sure about the big fans for the original shroud maybe to far away to draw the air through??? so take plenty of measurements to find what will fit the best. good luck with the projects your working.

Quick Reply: electric cooling fan