2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Ladies and Gentlemen! The LED Dash DIY Instructions!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 10:16 PM
millertime 1321
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey, what color did you get? were the ones from advance blue also? and were the 5mm ones the only ones that would fit the climate controls or could you get the wled ones to try to solve the brightness problem?

Old 01-07-2010, 10:29 PM
millertime 1321

ps, would the 3mm twistlock work instead of the 5mm, or was the 5mm too small

Old 01-08-2010, 01:14 AM
ztomtog2
Default Dimming the LED's

Many people have been asking how to make the LEDs to where you can dim them. It's not an easy task. LEDs don't operate like normal bulbs. They turn on at a certain voltage and don't change much as the voltage changes. It is possible to dim them though through other methods. One of them is called Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) which turns the juice on and off in pulses so fast that you don't even notice it. But you do get a dimming effect of the LEDs. There are a few different ways to do this but its not very simple. It gets into dealing with timers resistors capacitors and LEDs but if you can figure it all out it would definitely be worth the time invested in it. I'm going to start working on the project within the next month but i'm going to go a it farther with it. I'm going to use tri-color LEDs so ill be able to make it literally any color i want, kinda like the new mustangs gauge lights. Just for S#*ts and giggles really. I'm an Electrical Engineering major. Once I get mine done i'll post pics and all that and will help anyone else who want's to get theirs done.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:45 PM
Nando Vazquez
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldnt find the LEDs I wanted so I got impatient and bought cheap Blue 194 Autozone Bulbs. I installed them in the same method as the LEDs, they give off a light blue. Much like the color of the kph right under the mph. Its a another option for ppl who think the LEDs are too bright. They dont look as cool but its something.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:44 PM
lord0fsal3m
Captain

just to confirm those who mentioned it previously, i was in the junkyard and saw a ripped up cluster, so i peeled back the top layer and the blue is acually laser etched into it so theres no way to have anything without blue in it (green/purple) id really like red, is there any way possible of doing this?

Old 01-10-2010, 05:18 PM
004x41500
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lord0fsal3m
just to confirm those who mentioned it previously, i was in the junkyard and saw a ripped up cluster, so i peeled back the top layer and the blue is acually laser etched into it so theres no way to have anything without blue in it (green/purple) id really like red, is there any way possible of doing this?
you might be able to get a shade of red using a certain color to blend with the blue, to make like a dark red or something, but im not sure if it would work because red blue and green are primary colors

Old 01-23-2010, 03:05 AM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bringing this back from the dead. I bought the new twist locks off of super bright and they dont work in our cluster.

Just did this. Mine don't seem as bright and it does still dim

Old 01-24-2010, 01:18 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

Got any pics?

Old 01-24-2010, 03:10 PM
yakkier
Banned

Great work man, looking forward to doing this my self.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:57 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by Nando Vazquez
I couldnt find the LEDs I wanted so I got impatient and bought cheap Blue 194 Autozone Bulbs. I installed them in the same method as the LEDs, they give off a light blue. Much like the color of the kph right under the mph. Its a another option for ppl who think the LEDs are too bright. They dont look as cool but its something.
Would you mind posting a picture please?

Quick Reply: Ladies and Gentlemen! The LED Dash DIY Instructions!