2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trying to install a new horn..... don't know what I'm doing.....

Old 03-24-2009, 10:36 PM
Silver Kracker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to install a new horn..... don't know what I'm doing.....

I recently bought the 'big boss' horn from FIAMM, and am trying to figure out how to install it. My main problem first off is I can't find my original horn and its compressor, and does anyone have any ideas where to install the trumpets?

I've looked all over the internet and theres not a good tutorial out there to help me, I'd like to get this thing up as soon as possible because admit it......... the stock horns suck

Old 03-24-2009, 11:15 PM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker

stock horn first off don't have a compressor, and the horns are located right behind the bumper on the left side of the truck, i replaced mine a while back when it died

Old 03-24-2009, 11:25 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is no compressor on the stock horns for these trucks. They are a dual note which means that there is two electric motorized horns to remove. these are located on the front left bumper brace. At least thats where they are on mine. I mounted my horns in mine on the same brace. The wiring can be a little confusing to get done though..

Old 03-24-2009, 11:45 PM
Jase
Rookie

It's really pretty simple when you wrap your mind around it. I basically spliced mine into the stock horn by wiring it into the trigger wire (the green one).
Name:  0324092149a.jpg
Views: 1928
Size:  5.8 KB
Also, be sure to get a fuse in there on the wire from your battery. Other than that, follow the directions about the relay. all you really need are wire, butt connectors, and female terminals.

As for placement... not sure if this was good or bad idea, but it was sure as hell easy. haha
Name:  0324092150a.jpg
Views: 1248
Size:  10.6 KB

Last edited by Jase; 03-24-2009 at 11:59 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:30 AM
TIMIDONE
All Star

no compressor...I hated that as I wanted to install train horns! but the horns (on my rig) are on the passenger side front...plenty of room...thought I'd install an extra battery there.

BTW....anyone got suggestions for a good LOUD horn that doesn't require a compressor? I don't want to go through all that work...just want to wire it up.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:56 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

www.jcwhitney,com
They have a large amount of horns both air powered and electric.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:38 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TIMIDONE
no compressor...I hated that as I wanted to install train horns! but the horns (on my rig) are on the passenger side front...plenty of room...thought I'd install an extra battery there.

BTW....anyone got suggestions for a good LOUD horn that doesn't require a compressor? I don't want to go through all that work...just want to wire it up.
you sissy lol. I doubt it will be that hard to install a compressor and tank. I'll let ya know some day if I ever get around to it on mine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trying to install a new horn..... don't know what I'm doing.....