2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

electric fan

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 09:47 PM
Jase
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I can't seem to find anything on installing the fan t-stat...
Any links or threads you know of that I might have missed?

Old 03-25-2009, 09:55 PM
mcss8541
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jase
also, do I have a t-stat? pics are gone on the DIY t-stat thread and am having trouble wrapping my mind around it.
Is there a disadvantage to just having the fans on a switch?
I bought the flex-a-lite dual electric fan setup with the thermostat control. I bought mine from www.jegs.com but you can also go to www.summitracing.com , www.4wheelparts.com , or www.flexalite.com. Yes you remove the stock fan blade shroud and fan blade and I think that it's an opposite rotation setup( ie. which ever direction your engine crank is turning while then engine is running that's the direction you want to go to remove the fan. Set your windhield washer bottle and coolant over flow bottle to the side because if they are like mine they are attached to the shroud. once all of this is out of the way then center your fan setup on the radiator and mount. wiring is easy 1 wire will splice into the hot side of your a/c compressor so that the fans kick on when you turn on your a/c. If you are not sure which 1 then take a electrical hot tester clip the end to a ground, turn on your a/c and see which 1 lights up the tester. the black wire is directly connected to neg side of battery, the red with inline fuse is directly connected to your pos. now becareful when inserting the thermostat temp probe in between the fins of your radiator. i put mine up next to the upper radiator hose inlet. reason is when your coolant thermostat opens and lets the hot engine coolant into the radiator this is the hottest point. the instructions are easy and it will take you a couple of hours to do it right. i'll try to take some pics and post them tommorrow.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:03 PM
Jase
Rookie

pics would be very helpful. thank you.
After it's all done, the shroud will go right back where it was?

EDIT:
The t-stat is not actually in the line then, just in between? I think that's where I was getting confused.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:11 PM
mcss8541
All Star

pics would be very helpful. thank you.
After it's all done, the shroud will go right back where it was?

EDIT:
The t-stat is not actually in the line then, just in between? I think that's where I was getting confused.
oh sorry i left that part out.....NO. I reattached the coolant and windshiel washer bottles to the brackets used to hold the fan in place with the thick heavy duty zip ties. also the neat thing about this fan setup is the fans will kick on at about 50% and then increase as needed. they will run for a few seconds after the engine is turned off as well. let me tell you this dual fan setup moves some air. another benefit it you have alot of room between the fron of the engine and the radiator. i actaully stand on my front sway bar inside the engine compartment while i work on things in the engine bay.

the thermostat is a pointed metal probe attached to the fan eletrical junction box by 2 thin coated wires.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:13 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sound like its worth the pain in the a$$.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:14 PM
Jase
Rookie

Thanks again. this is starting to make more sense to me.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:21 PM
mcss8541
All Star

Thanks again. this is starting to make more sense to me.
trust me you will not regrett it. i'll try to get those pics posted. and the neat thing about this fan setup is there are flaps built into the frame that allows air to flow in while driving for additional cooling. this forum is a great sourse for help and ideas and in alot of cases some things work better on someones else's rig and not on yours but in this case this fan set up will work and do wonders for anyone's rig.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:27 AM
Silver1500
Professional

I also have an electric fan on my truck, I love it and ive never had a problem with it... I have mine installed exactly how mcss explains it, to the T. BUT, i bought a single fan. I got the Flexalite black magic 180 extreme or something like that. I priced them out on summit and jegs, but the cheapest i found was on a site called "moes performance". I had never heard of them before but they were $50 cheaper than i found anywhere else so i figured id give it a shot. Its a little deceiving, the price listed on the website is $306.95 but it says to add to cart for lower price, total price is only $249.00 and it included everything i needed to install it. Had the fan in 3 days and was very happy with how it works... It was a breeze to put on and the hardest part was getting the stock fan off. Also, you can put your shroud back on or you can leave it off, either way it doesnt affect performance of the fan, and there will be about an inch of threads sticking out of your water pump pulley where the stock fan/clutch was, I am told that those pulleys are pressed in there somehow and will never come off. I am not sure on that, but a friend of mine is the service manager at a dodge dealer and thats what he told me. Mine hasnt fallen off yet lol...
The fan I got is the most powerful single fan you can buy, and its still cheaper than most dual setups, i think its like 3300 cfm or something like that...
Here is the link to moes: http://moesperformance.com/index.php...42c61b341fb750

I recommend this setup or one like 'mcss' has to anyone, I absolutely love it.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:14 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mcss- your thermostat just fits in between the rad. fins?

Old 03-26-2009, 03:15 AM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed Flexalite 210b twin fans back in 01, never given me a problem other than the stupid temp probe location. I mounted the probe on the side of the rad at the bottom where the metal crimps to the plastic end cap. Pics on pg 2 of the install below. Have to figure out something better on the monster rad I have to mount now.

http://www.rm-indy.com/fans.htm

Quick Reply: electric fan