2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

electric fan

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 03:25 AM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver1500
I also have an electric fan on my truck, I love it and ive never had a problem with it... I have mine installed exactly how mcss explains it, to the T. BUT, i bought a single fan. I got the Flexalite black magic 180 extreme or something like that. I priced them out on summit and jegs, but the cheapest i found was on a site called "moes performance". I had never heard of them before but they were $50 cheaper than i found anywhere else so i figured id give it a shot. Its a little deceiving, the price listed on the website is $306.95 but it says to add to cart for lower price, total price is only $249.00 and it included everything i needed to install it. Had the fan in 3 days and was very happy with how it works... It was a breeze to put on and the hardest part was getting the stock fan off. Also, you can put your shroud back on or you can leave it off, either way it doesnt affect performance of the fan, and there will be about an inch of threads sticking out of your water pump pulley where the stock fan/clutch was, I am told that those pulleys are pressed in there somehow and will never come off. I am not sure on that, but a friend of mine is the service manager at a dodge dealer and thats what he told me. Mine hasnt fallen off yet lol...
The fan I got is the most powerful single fan you can buy, and its still cheaper than most dual setups, i think its like 3300 cfm or something like that...
Here is the link to moes: http://moesperformance.com/index.php...42c61b341fb750

I recommend this setup or one like 'mcss' has to anyone, I absolutely love it.
that is exactly the same setup i have. yep, the probe just gets inserted between the radiator fins. adjust the temp on the little dial on the little box a couple times when you want it to kick on and off. its been like a year now and havent had any problems. i also got mine at moes. fastest shipping from anywhere i have ever got stuff.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:40 AM
Jase
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RM_Indy
I installed Flexalite 210b twin fans back in 01, never given me a problem other than the stupid temp probe location. I mounted the probe on the side of the rad at the bottom where the metal crimps to the plastic end cap. Pics on pg 2 of the install below. Have to figure out something better on the monster rad I have to mount now.

http://www.rm-indy.com/fans.htm
excellent link! thank you.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:25 AM
mcss8541
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dakotas ram
mcss- your thermostat just fits in between the rad. fins?
yes sir. insert carefully and make sure it's between the tubing that runs in the fins. it's easy to install and like i said before install in at the top of the radiator about 2-3 inches to the side of the upper radiator hose where it goes into the radiator. the probe is pointed and makes for as easy insert.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:26 AM
mcss8541
All Star

Originally Posted by RM_Indy
I installed Flexalite 210b twin fans back in 01, never given me a problem other than the stupid temp probe location. I mounted the probe on the side of the rad at the bottom where the metal crimps to the plastic end cap. Pics on pg 2 of the install below. Have to figure out something better on the monster rad I have to mount now.

http://www.rm-indy.com/fans.htm
top of radiator near the area where the upper rad hose goes into the rad.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:47 AM
Jase
Rookie

Not that I don't like the flexalite fans, but has anyone tried a cheaper setup successfully?
trying to get a mental list: fans, one relay (?), 180 t-stat, fuse, toggle (want to be able to turn it off manually)

Old 03-26-2009, 12:01 PM
mcss8541
All Star

Originally Posted by Jase
Not that I don't like the flexalite fans, but has anyone tried a cheaper setup successfully?
trying to get a mental list: fans, one relay (?), 180 t-stat, fuse, toggle (want to be able to turn it off manually)
you can do it that way as well but always be cognisant of your temp because if you turn off your fan(s) and forget then you'll have a major overheating issue. the fan(s) have no big electrical draw from your electrical system. The thermostat controller fo these fans are not expensive and you can purchase them seperately this way you would not need a toggle switch. just saying is all.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:15 PM
dakotas ram
Champion

yeah, ive been thinking of finding a setup from a junkyard

Old 03-26-2009, 02:56 PM
Jase
Rookie

I just want a toggle so I can turn it off if I'm muddin or splashin...

I'm basically trying to bring the cost down now, cause I still want to get tires and not be completely broke.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:42 PM
mcss8541
All Star

Originally Posted by Jase
I just want a toggle so I can turn it off if I'm muddin or splashin...

I'm basically trying to bring the cost down now, cause I still want to get tires and not be completely broke.
no worries mate! that woul be a good idea. Autozone and O'Reilly's have electric fans and accessories that are not expensive.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:18 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by scorpion122192@hotmail.com
when I go with my eletric fan I will also go with a eletric water pump but dont know where to get a smaller belt so I can elemate the water pump pully
Does anyone know where I can get a smaller belt

Quick Reply: electric fan