2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

going to get true dual exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 12:05 AM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonw
Two questions... why would reading from only one side hurt you (unless something is seriously messed up with one side of the engine), and why would it hurt your low end?
You answered your own question. If there's something going on with the unsensored side then the PCM has no way to correct for it. Even if it's something as simple as a leaned-out injector, which could cause a rise in combustion temperature in that cylinder resulting in a burnt valve or even piston damage. With no 02 sensor on that bank you would have no way of knowing and the PCM would not throw a code to warn you. Crossover pipes have been proven to increase performance.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:49 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
You answered your own question. If there's something going on with the unsensored side then the PCM has no way to correct for it. Even if it's something as simple as a leaned-out injector, which could cause a rise in combustion temperature in that cylinder resulting in a burnt valve or even piston damage. With no 02 sensor on that bank you would have no way of knowing and the PCM would not throw a code to warn you. Crossover pipes have been proven to increase performance.
Got ya. Thanks for clearing that up.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:35 PM
akerz92
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that doesnt tell me anything

Old 07-18-2009, 01:33 AM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry, you have to have a minimum level of mechanical aptitude to use this forum effectively.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:39 AM
gregadams6412@sbcglobal.net
Default Dont Run True Duals

all that work and money is not worth it on these 2nd gen dodge rams to run true duals. just cut the cat off, put a set of spark plug defoulers on your rear o2 sensor to turn the CEL off, and then after the sensor, get a single in dual out flowmaster or cherry bomb muffler, and run two pipes all the way back to some tips. my truck is a 2001 with the 318 with exhaust manifolds to no cat to flowmaster super 44, 3 inch single in 2.5 inch dual out with 4 inch tips. i can assure you my truck is just as loud and sounds just as good as a truck with true duals done right.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:46 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gregadams6412@sbcglobal.net
all that work and money is not worth it on these 2nd gen dodge rams to run true duals. just cut the cat off, put a set of spark plug defoulers on your rear o2 sensor to turn the CEL off, and then after the sensor, get a single in dual out flowmaster or cherry bomb muffler, and run two pipes all the way back to some tips. my truck is a 2001 with the 318 with exhaust manifolds to no cat to flowmaster super 44, 3 inch single in 2.5 inch dual out with 4 inch tips. i can assure you my truck is just as loud and sounds just as good as a truck with true duals done right.
Do you realize this thread is 3 years old?

Old 10-03-2012, 10:35 AM
SilverSS
Captain

Originally Posted by stewie01
Do you realize this thread is 3 years old?
+1 besides the fact that true duals are worth it and sound better than a 1 in 2 out IMO.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:51 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dual exhaust will always sound better than "poser duals." I have single exhaust split into two tips and I hate it. Greg must be from louisiana, where all that matter's is volume. i never heard such sh!tty sounding trucks as when I lived there. Loudest, most obnoxious exhausts imaginable, but they sure thought it was cool. Louder is not better.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:34 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Wombat Ranger
Dual exhaust will always sound better than "poser duals." I have single exhaust split into two tips and I hate it. Greg must be from louisiana, where all that matter's is volume. i never heard such sh!tty sounding trucks as when I lived there. Loudest, most obnoxious exhausts imaginable, but they sure thought it was cool. Louder is not better.
This is so true.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:41 PM
dlyter09
Champion

So you mean that if i flip my headers upside down and run them straight up through the hood it wont sound good???

Quick Reply: going to get true dual exhaust