2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

why adjust transmission bands?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 01:42 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If the tranny starts to slip fix it or have it fixed if you are not comfy doing it yourself. Adjusting bands is not as expensive as the tow truck you will need when the tranny lets you sit in the middle of nowhere when you can least afford to be without your truck. Not to mention the expense of the rebuild. If they adjust them when they change the fluid and filter the added expense should be no more than 25-35 dollars.
I adjust my bands every 2 years. That for me is every other fluid change but my truck plows snow, hauls heavy loads regularly, and has high mileage. Adjusting bands takes me an extra 10-15 minutes and I am sure has saved me at least one rebuild with the abuse my truck gets.
If you find a small reputable shop and express an interest in learning I know a lot of guys that will let you watch how it is done. It really is not hard but it must be done right.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:56 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey Purpl,

Where's that DIY on adjusting Tranny Bands?

Old 05-30-2009, 10:30 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just change your fluid and maintanance

Old 05-31-2009, 08:14 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
Hey Purpl,

Where's that DIY on adjusting Tranny Bands?
Just wait a week. I really want a PATC.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:08 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
Just wait a week. I really want a PATC.
Me thinks I will avoid that DIY like the plague...... I saw your thread on band adjustment..... and about 2 weeks later heard you got a rebuild.....

Old 05-31-2009, 09:16 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

No, as soon as I pulled it out of the garage I had problems. I have always thought of doing a Tranny fluid DIY cause I have the pics.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:17 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
No, as soon as I pulled it out of the garage I had problems. I have always thought of doing a Tranny fluid DIY cause I have the pics.
Do I need to add aim's quote back to my sig to remind you????

Old 05-31-2009, 09:19 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

I molested those ****ers.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:19 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SEAL
If the tranny starts to slip fix it or have it fixed if you are not comfy doing it yourself. Adjusting bands is not as expensive as the tow truck you will need when the tranny lets you sit in the middle of nowhere when you can least afford to be without your truck. Not to mention the expense of the rebuild. If they adjust them when they change the fluid and filter the added expense should be no more than 25-35 dollars.
I adjust my bands every 2 years. That for me is every other fluid change but my truck plows snow, hauls heavy loads regularly, and has high mileage. Adjusting bands takes me an extra 10-15 minutes and I am sure has saved me at least one rebuild with the abuse my truck gets.
If you find a small reputable shop and express an interest in learning I know a lot of guys that will let you watch how it is done. It really is not hard but it must be done right.
Pardon my French, but could you eliminate the air of mystery and please outline the procedure? That would be more beneficial than alluding to how it should be done, advising vague caution, etc.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:10 AM
Wiretender
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default following directions effectively......

When in doubt perform maintainence procedures as outined by the engineers of this rig at intervals stated. Adjusting bands are neither difficult or complicated. I have found the transmission t/b more precise and responsive following adjustment with no adverse affects.

Quick Reply: why adjust transmission bands?