2nd Gen Ram Tech1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
yep oil pressure switch, same exact thing happened to me 3K miles ago, replaced it with a $27 switch from autozone and was good to go, its easy to change but takes time and isnt fun, dont forget the special socket!
Not that im aware of, but i can tell you real fast how to change it out:
1) Go to parts store and pick-up oil pressure switch and socket
2) Buy ratchet if you dont have one
3) the oil pressure switch is located on the back of the motor towards the passenger side
4) locate switch and disconnect sensor from it (its clipped on from the top)
5) connect socket to ratchet and place over the oil pressure switch
6) after unscrewing for probaly 15 mins, remove oil pressure switch
7) put new switch on, make sure to thread it well at first, ratchet it down really snug
8) connect sensor to the new switch
9) thats it, its really easy but just takes time and the switch is a bitch to reach especially if you're short, the best angle to reach the switch is from the passenger side fender, problem should be fixed and the new switch should last 50-100K miles
yeah i had the same problem on my 97 dodge...the first thing i did was replace the pressure switch, then a few weeks later i went an hit a wet spot and it dropped again...but it had knocked all the sludge loose and was cloggin my screen ..so i took everything off an flushed it with diesel