2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hughes intake plate problem?

Old 04-18-2009, 11:40 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You could also call APS Precision. They also sell the plenum plates (cheaper then Hughes when I bought mine). Wayne is a really cool guy, active on several dodge forums (not this one unfortunatly). Ask him if he thinks it would be safe to install?

Old 04-18-2009, 03:56 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Olyelr,

If hughes gives you crap, let me know. I have a spare Hughes Plate from mY broken intake. I'll check it to verify it's not warped. PM me if you need it.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:39 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dsertdog56
Well, they told you to send it back, so I'd do that.
I'd also send a NICE letter explaining that while you certainly could install it, you really don't have the extra time to pull it apart again if it doesn't work. Explain that you've heard nothing but good things about thier company and thier products (and service!) on the internet and elsewhere, and are positive once they've seen the plate they will make it right with you.
I believe you'll have better results being nice than angry. Well...it works for me.

Oh, and for insurance...put a "mark" somewhere on the plate, to make sure they don't send you the bad one back.

I totaly agree with you, and that is the way I had planned and have dealt with the situation. I am not one to jump on somebody or a company for something as inocent as this (although, the warp was completey noticable from the naked eye... I cant believe they even sent it out).

When I called them (and emailed them for that matter) I never complained once or even showed a small amount of disapointment. I just wanted their opinion on the situation... which I know now is to install it. But, from gathering everyone esles thoughts (as well as my own), I am sending it back... probably on my dime, but that is fine cause I dont want to chance it.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:43 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
Olyelr,

If hughes gives you crap, let me know. I have a spare Hughes Plate from mY broken intake. I'll check it to verify it's not warped. PM me if you need it.

Haha, thanks aim, I will keep that in mind. I will be contacting Hughes when they open (Mon. morning) do determine what will happen, but the plan is to send this one back and have a new one shipped out. If something else happens I will be sure to contact you. The offer is much appreciated.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:47 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Silver_Dodge
You could also call APS Precision. They also sell the plenum plates (cheaper then Hughes when I bought mine). Wayne is a really cool guy, active on several dodge forums (not this one unfortunatly). Ask him if he thinks it would be safe to install?
I saw your post about them on PS and did look them up on the internet, but the prices seemed about identical to the Hughes kit and I have heard so much good stuff about them (never even heard of the APS kit until I saw your post). Thanks for the advice though, I do appreciate it.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:51 AM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

I'm sure you'll let us know how this turns out.

Its a crying shame one has to go through so much grief with some vendors. After years of being in and out -but always around this hobby/sport, it never stops to amaze me how aloof, even arrogant some businesses get when they specialize in one marque. Maybe it's the precieved lack of competition. Or something else.
Conversely, Hughes has been in the trenches a lot longer than folks who jumped on the Ram bandwagon. Hughes was building winning engines and doing research on modding Mopars way back when owning any kind of Mopar wasn't cool, so uncool even Mopar wasn't much involved. I assure you that makes your skin pretty thick.

Either way, one thing these guys know is that word of mouth advertising gets them most of thier business.

Last edited by dsertdog56; 04-19-2009 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:07 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

I personally have not heard to many good things about Hughes. Expensive and poor customer service. I have never bought anything from them, but when I called to ask them questions a time or two, they were never very helpful. That's why I went to Wayne (APS) to buy my plenum kit. He has always been very easy to work with, and I have bought several things from him. If I ever need a new trans, i'll call him first.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:48 AM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain

Originally Posted by Silver_Dodge
I personally have not heard to many good things about Hughes. Expensive and poor customer service. I have never bought anything from them, but when I called to ask them questions a time or two, they were never very helpful.
Silver, not trying to minimize your experience with Hughes, but my experience with them has been good overall when compared to other automotive vendors I've had to deal with. When I had my cam bearing issue, they were very helpful and gave me their suggestions and opinions when they were not obligated to do so. Also, they were good enough to take back a set of lifters after I had installed them and was not satisfied. Honestly, they did not want to do that at first but relented after I pressed the issue fairly hard. I guess the thing to remember is these vendors are in the biz to turn a profit, so if you can get some free advice out of them without the attitude it's a bonus.

(Disclaimer: These comments are mine alone. I am not employed by Dave Hughes in any way, shape, or form. )

Old 04-19-2009, 10:52 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Fair enough. Sounds like you have more experience with them then I do.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:10 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Welp, I talked to Kevin at Hughes this morning and he said was very nice and understanding. Although he still thought it would seal just fine, he said if I am not comfortable with using it then just send it back and he will ship out a nice flat one for me (shouldn't they all be?). So, off it went this morning for 8 bucks worth of shipping.

Now I have time to mod my kegger and throttle body . I have done quite a bit of searching on these mods and found several helpful posts about the kegger (thanks Silver), but cant seem to get any pics on the throttle body. Anyone have any links? I know they are out there, I just cant seem locate them with the search. Thanks in advance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hughes intake plate problem?