2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hughes intake plate problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 12:28 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know where one is on a another site, but not here. I have done the mod as well, is there any questions I could answer? Shoot me a pm with specifics if you'd like.

I found this one here. FYI the "other" sites link is there as well.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ebody-mod.html

Last edited by dsertdog56; 04-20-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:35 PM
Jpnorris87
Professional
Old 04-20-2009, 09:15 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Thank you kindly for the links fellas. I will be sure to review them and gather what little more info I will need to perform the surgery. Dsertdog56, I dont have any exact questions yet, persay, but once i read the links I may

I have a basic idea for them both, but I just wanted some more links with pictures so I can get a visual of what exactly to remove. I understand that the newer intakes are slightly different than the older ones as they dont have the center devider (as well as other things I imagine), but are the throttle bodies different as well? Mine just appears to have smaller "walls" around the two holes... but I guess it doesnt matter. Let me review the links and see if I can come up with anymore questions .

Thanks again.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:25 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Oh yeah, whats the special trick to getting the butterfly screws out. I tried taking one off so I could clean it a while back and the dang screw instantly broke. Is there some special way of removing the screw that I dont know about?

Old 04-21-2009, 12:34 PM
sungod
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am amazed that they said to use it. There is no way it would seal properly. I just got mine from Hughes a few days ago and it is perfectly flat. They are cut from plate aluminum with a CNC machine. I don't see how it could have warped. If there is one thing that Hughes does well is package their products for shipping. two boxes, bubble wrap and peanuts. I was impressed as I fished through the peanuts looking for the bolts.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:49 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya, alum doesn't bend like steel plate, escpecailly at 1/4" thickness. I think you would have had problems with it. Maybe not immediately, but eventually. Maybe that's why they say to just use it. By time you realize you have a problem, you're not likely to be able to blame it on the plate you bought a year or two ago.

I wish I had checked my alum plate. I don't have any issues since I installed it, but that would have been a good thing to check anyway.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:57 PM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain

Originally Posted by olyelr
Oh yeah, whats the special trick to getting the butterfly screws out. I tried taking one off so I could clean it a while back and the dang screw instantly broke. Is there some special way of removing the screw that I dont know about?
Those screws are "staked" in place so they don't get loose and find their way into a cylinder. Unless you're replacing the throttle shaft, there's no reason to remove the screws.

Quick Reply: Hughes intake plate problem?