2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

97 Ram won't shift

Old 04-21-2009, 08:28 PM
UltraLite
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Ram won't shift

Check engine light came on when started in morning and trans won't shift out of first gear.Had codes P1762 & P1763. Bought new governor solenoid and pressure sensor and installed them. Codes didn't come back but still no shift. Put trans pressure guage into governor test port, have 0 psi at idle which is normal but have 0 at speed also. Chart says governor pressure solenoid or pressure sensor defective. I will take the pan back off and check them with the ohmeter and check for 5 volts at the connectors. Wouldn't be the first time I've bought new parts that were defective. Has anyone ran into this before?

Old 06-25-2010, 10:44 AM
Shawn7180
Default P1763 code - 99 Ram 5.9L

I got the same results - I changed both governor pressure sensor and transducer - still won't shift. Haven't driven too far but far enough - engine light hasn't come back on.

I unplugged rear O2 sensor - still won't shift.
I'm going to check the electrical in the tow harness due to reading once someone had same problem and eventually found the short in the harness - the harness was shorting/melting above the gas tank.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:37 AM
JesusCervantes
Red face 1997 dodge ram 2500 5.9L magnum 46re

Originally Posted by UltraLite
Check engine light came on when started in morning and trans won't shift out of first gear.Had codes P1762 & P1763. Bought new governor solenoid and pressure sensor and installed them. Codes didn't come back but still no shift. Put trans pressure guage into governor test port, have 0 psi at idle which is normal but have 0 at speed also. Chart says governor pressure solenoid or pressure sensor defective. I will take the pan back off and check them with the ohmeter and check for 5 volts at the connectors. Wouldn't be the first time I've bought new parts that were defective. Has anyone ran into this before?
Hi, i have the same p codes and at first my truck would no shift to first i would run in 2 then shift to 3rd and 4th and then all of a sudden the truck got stuck in first gear and wont shift to second or third or fourth, if i disconnect the transmission relay it stays n 3rd and if i drive it like that to get it to second i down shift. i really dont know what it can be, i am researching forums for clues. would like to know if you fixed your problem?

Old 05-01-2013, 10:12 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Drop the pan, see what you find. Pull the governor solenoid out, see if it isn't clogged.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:14 AM
JesusCervantes
Default Found the problem

Ok so i purchased the governor pressure sensor from ebay for 35 bucks rebuilt and got the transmission to shift properly!

PS. I purchased a 98 dodge ram quad cab 1500 5.9L v8 4X4 and did away with the 46RE and swapped in a NV3500.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:16 AM
JesusCervantes

Happy!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 97 Ram won't shift