2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

new truck???

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 08:02 PM
flanders993
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new truck???

hey so im new to DF but ive always been a dodge guy. so i want an oppinion. im tryin to get a new full size dodge but my wallets a little short. if you know what i mean. lol. so i found one, a 01 with the 5.9l v8 it looks great. has the typical new england rust but one problem. 265k miles. and the history of the truck is unknown. (the guy bought it from an auto action). i talked him down to 1200 for the truck. but i was just lookin for another few opinions about the milage issue. thanks =)

Old 05-25-2010, 08:07 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well just drive it make sure it's got good oil psi and trans shifts good and the child don't smell burnt.... The plumen gasket is blow if org and it may have the death fash but if it runs good I don't see a problem

Old 05-25-2010, 08:12 PM
flanders993

k thanks. i mean. i know somewhat what im lookin for. ive been turnin a wrench for awhile but i dont have the old school knowledge if u get wat im sayin. plus im only 19. cant realy afford a messed up truck. lol.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:12 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ya if it ran that long with the death flash the motor still good, because it wasnt worked to its full potensal. 01 is the are not the best year from what i hear but if it has that many miles im sure alot of things been fixed.

i would look up the vin see where its been and what not

Old 05-28-2010, 03:04 AM
flanders993

alright so i just went up and gave it a ride. it had a whinin noice from the tranny. it didnt realy whine louder or softer with the rpms like i thought it would. i went from the back of his driveway to the begining of the street and it took more gas then b4 to get going. there was no difference in the whining noice at high speeds or low. or if i got on the throttle or just eased into it. tranny fluid a lil low. but not much (checked in nutrual hot and cold) no burning smell either. help? lol. and i talked him down to a grand. and the motor sounds great for 265k. the frame still has the factory black paint on in (RARE for an NH car/truck lol) its mint. the whining is just givin me a lil consern. lol. any input? thanks, steve.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:50 AM
RawRam2006
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't do it bro. Every now n then u get lucky with a used truck, but in my opinion, I think ur just getting into a money 0it if u buy this thing. My advice, take ur 1200 n buy a new(er) truck. Whenever you get into a vehicle that Is gonna cost you money, each month, to keep running, u need to just buy a new(er) one. Save urself the headache(s) n worry n buy a truck with a warranty. One that covers all your major components. Trust me, u won't regret it.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:56 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i think any truck that runs is worth a $1000.
but, but, but - you might have to spend another 1500 to replace the trans, so if you can't afford that - then don't buy the truck.
5.2/5.9 are very durable engines, so the odds are good there.

edit - to increase your knowledge of the truck, take it to a transmission shop, tell them you're looking to buy the truck, and you want a transmission inspection. be prepared to pay them $50 or so for about an hour of time. be direct - tell them you expect that if they give it a clean bill of health, and you buy the truck, that you do not expect to be in anytime soon for a rebuild - and that if you are - you expect an "at cost" rebuild. don't tell them the purchase price as its none of their business. with these conditions, they should drop the pan and probably charge you more, maybe $100 or more for the inspection. if they do drop the pan, ask them what fluid they will refill with. if they answer ATF+4, then fine. if they answer "universal fluid" with an additive to make it into atf+4, then go somewhere else.

its a 50/50 gamble you'll have a transmission problem. so understand it and accept it, or don't buy it.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 05-28-2010 at 07:04 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:23 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RawRam2006
I wouldn't do it bro. Every now n then u get lucky with a used truck, but in my opinion, I think ur just getting into a money 0it if u buy this thing. My advice, take ur 1200 n buy a new(er) truck. Whenever you get into a vehicle that Is gonna cost you money, each month, to keep running, u need to just buy a new(er) one. Save urself the headache(s) n worry n buy a truck with a warranty. One that covers all your major components. Trust me, u won't regret it.
The trick is, we don't all have 75k+ jobs, or mommy and daddy's money (whichever the case may be). Some of us have house payments, some of us have kids, some of us spend our money on other things.

To the original poster... if you're not willing to possibly put up the money for a transmission rebuild, as others have suggested, I'd find a better deal.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:46 AM
beamwalker
Rookie

CARFAX... i wouldn't buy a vehicle without it. while it may not give the whole story...it will give you a good idea where it's been.it's always worth the extra few dollars.
i'd tell you to go for it, if it wasn't a transmission problem.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:34 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

1000 bucks? id get it, rebuild the tranny yourself (if needed), do plenum, and flush all the fluids

is it 4x4

Last edited by 95RAM360; 05-28-2010 at 09:36 AM.

Quick Reply: new truck???