2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Disabling the driver airbag on a 96 ram

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 06:15 PM
test
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the help this should make it safer for the kids not that they are going to be speeding around the farm but just in case. I think I'll put the old girl to pasture next week.
Thanks

Old 10-30-2014, 12:37 PM
coopab
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spontaneous deployment

Originally Posted by test
My 1996 ram will soon be retiring to the farm so the kids will be able to drive it as well. My wife says I need to disable the driver airbag. Any ideas as to how to do this other than drive into it with a tractor.
Thanks
Good idea to disable, but the question is "HOW?" We have an aging rusty 96 cummins TD. Last Spring the driver was just about "back to the barn" turning left when the air bag blew up in his face. The issue was traced to corrosion around the floor boards. I'm guessing the air bag controller is down there somewhere.
Our mechanic replace the deployed air bag with a used on at the same time as he replaced the steering column. After that none of the dash has been working. I discovered the reason today. He intentionally left out two fuses, one labeled "AIRBAG cluster" and the other simply "AIRBAG." When I put a fuse back into the cluster slot all the gauges came back, but I'm a little leery of having the airbag blow on ME. Will the airbag remain disabled with just the "AIRBAG" fuse pulled out? For that matter is it disabled now with both fuses out? It would seem that disconnecting the controller would be better. I need the gauges working!!!
Any advice??

coopab

Old 10-30-2014, 03:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Erm, 5 year old thread???? His kids have probably grown up, and gotten drivers licenses by now.

Quick Reply: Disabling the driver airbag on a 96 ram