2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What are the symptoms of a bad map sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 07:27 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Tie the O2 sensor safely. Try not to bang the tip about...as it's kinda one of the bit more sensitive gals.

Oh you may need some penetrating lubricant to break the threads loose.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:45 PM
big red dodge ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 98 dodge ram has no power on take off and falls on its face when i go to pass somebody untill i let off the gas it picks right back up could this be a bad map sensor

Old 04-26-2012, 05:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Anything is possible.... but, before just blindly throwing parts at it, I would check it with a scanner, and see what map says, as compared to what a vacuum gauge says....

Old 01-11-2015, 01:12 PM
Off-road-nut

Replace the air idol control valve

Old 01-11-2015, 01:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

3 year old thread?

Old 09-28-2015, 12:35 PM
LoneWolfArcher
Professional

Edit, answered in an earlier response.

Last edited by LoneWolfArcher; 09-28-2015 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:32 PM
03DURANGOGAL
Default Mystery problem

We have a 2003 Durango and we have a crappy battery and our check engine light kept coming on so the hubby kept resetting it so he didn't have to see it. Well when we had to replace our fan control switch (twice). So while doing that we had them check our codes and a bad map sensor came up so we replaced it.
NOW....
when you let the engine idle and get warmed up and Rev the engine it is hesitating (I guess) And when you first go to take off it's lacking power, or "umff" I guess you can say. But once you get going it's fine. And I don't know if it is a fluke but it seemed as if the trans slipped when pulling I boat out of the water.
SO....
HELP!!!!!!

OK I have replaced the map sensor twice. The check engine light is still coming on and reading it's the map sensor. When the truck sits and idles it seems like it is building up gas and don't wanna run IIT hesitates until it warms up then it's fine. What could this possiably be now. Please need help???

Last edited by 03DURANGOGAL; 10-06-2017 at 02:37 PM. Reason: New problem
Old 08-22-2017, 12:56 AM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 03DURANGOGAL
We have a 2003 Durango and we have a crappy battery and our check engine light kept coming on so the hubby kept resetting it so he didn't have to see it. Well when we had to replace our fan control switch (twice). So while doing that we had them check our codes and a bad map sensor came up so we replaced it.
NOW....
when you let the engine idle and get warmed up and Rev the engine it is hesitating (I guess) And when you first go to take off it's lacking power, or "umff" I guess you can say. But once you get going it's fine. And I don't know if it is a fluke but it seemed as if the trans slipped when pulling I boat out of the water.
SO....
HELP!!!!!!
What engine? I have had a bad battery cause that issue, also bad battery connections.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:38 AM
03DURANGOGAL
Arrow @ adukart

I believe it's the 4.9L (is it). It's not the 5.7 L.

Old 12-18-2020, 06:19 PM
Vince Adelman IV
Default 97 ram 2500 Dying Issue

I recently had my timing done and cam sensor signal wire repaired on my 97 Ram 2500 2WD 360 AUTO GAS TRUCK.

It drove fine for a dew dayz then died going dwn the road, no CEL OR CODES. It started fine and deove repeatedly but only for a min at a time. Left it sit overnight and drove fine next day across town to rpr shop and back to my house, after they cld not get it to act up again.

Non OEM ignxn coil and map sensors were also installed when cam sensor work was done w new battery. I have been afraid to drive it and today, I tried to see what it wld do if I wld repeatedly try starting then turning it off. The more I did that, the weaker it was on start up and was on the verge of dying, as it also made coughing sound. Thanx for any help in advance.

Originally Posted by cmckenna
The MAP sensor is what measures the manifold pressure. Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor. This is another master sensor that provides voltage to the PCM. This voltage reading determines in part, what the A/F mixture should be.

In addition to that, it also plays a part in determining the spark advance and injector pulse width. The PCM uses the MAP sensor to determine or calculate the following:

- Manifold Pressure
- Barometric Pressure
- Engine Load
- Injector Pulse Width
- Spark Advance programs
- Shift point strategies for specific auto transmissions
- Idle speed
- Decel fuel shutoff

CM

Quick Reply: What are the symptoms of a bad map sensor