2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

97 ram 2500 dying issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2020, 07:49 PM
Vince Adelman IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 ram 2500 dying issue

I recently had my timing done and cam sensor signal wire repaired on my 97 Ram 2500 2WD 360 AUTO GAS TRUCK.

It drove fine for a dew dayz then died going dwn the road, no CEL OR CODES. It started fine and drove repeatedly but only for a min at a time. Left it sit overnight and drove fine next day across town to rpr shop and back to my house, after they cld not get it to act up again.

Non OEM ignxn coil and map sensors were also installed when cam sensor work was done w new battery. I have been afraid to drive it and today, I tried to see what it wld do if I wld repeatedly try starting then turning it off. The more I did that, the weaker it was on start up and was on the verge of dying, as it also made coughing sound. Thanx for any help in advance.

Last edited by Vince Adelman IV; 12-18-2020 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
Old 12-19-2020, 10:15 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

cam sensor signal wire
Truck side or sensor wire? Did you replace the sensor? What was wrong with the wire?

The following users liked this post:
Vince Adelman IV (12-19-2020)
Old 12-19-2020, 10:53 AM
Vince Adelman IV

Truck side and signal wire had been pulled out of connector. Wire to ecm had been then spliced in 2 outer areas and repl w a new wire in middle by me, in hopes that it wld eliminate bad wire length. Repair shop replaced that wire and fixed to be just like factory again. Thanx

Originally Posted by Moparite
Truck side or sensor wire? Did you replace the sensor? What was wrong with the wire?

Old 12-19-2020, 10:55 AM
Vince Adelman IV

Sensor was not replaced by rpr ahop and is a non oem 20$ cam sensor.

Originally Posted by Moparite
Originally Posted by Vince Adelman IV
Truck side and signal wire had been pulled out of connector. Wire to ecm had been then spliced in 2 outer areas and repl w a new wire in middle by me, in hopes that it wld eliminate bad wire length. Repair shop replaced that wire and fixed to be just like factory again. Thanx

Quick Reply: 97 ram 2500 dying issue