2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Overdrive sensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 02:28 PM
MAJohns
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Overdrive sensor

2001 Dodge Ram - where is the overdrive sensor located and about how much does one cost?

Old 05-22-2009, 04:53 PM
hutch1973
Captain

I can't recall exactly, thinking it was around $200 when I bought mine. I replaced every sensor in my trans, gasket/fluid for $400 total.

To replace it you drop the pan and valve body. It bolts up to the valve body and has a wiring harness that wraps around it and will then plug into your harness from the exterior of the trans.

Do a search on the code you asked about, seems like a pita code to track down and has multiple meanings. Will tell you this, guy at the dealership told me outright the overdrive sensor set up rarely goes bad, and he was right, mine was fine.

I didn't get the same code as you.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:09 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't know enough about the tranny and probably should not comment, but, there is a TC lock up solenoid and a governor pressure sensor in the pan, that can be replaced. I've never heard of a overdrive sensor. (or atleast hearing either one called that). As far as I know, if the overdrive does not work, you have a problem with the overdrive unit in the rear of the transmission, in or closed to the tail shaft. I'm probably wrong, but that is just info I have read on DF.

Last edited by zman17; 05-22-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:11 PM
hutch1973
Captain

Originally Posted by zman17
I don't know enough about the tranny to really comment, but, there is a TC lock up solenoid and a governor pressure sensor in the pan, that can be replaced. I've never heard of a overdrive sensor. (or atleast hearing either one called that). As far as I know, if the overdrive does not work, you have a problem with the overdrive unit in the rear of the transmission, in or closed to the tail shaft. I'm probably wrong, but that is just info I have read on DF.
They do refer to the TC lock up solenoid as the TC lockup/overdrive solenoid. Believe that's how it's referred to at the dealership too, but could be wrong. Can't seem to find my receipt from the purchase.

Will agree though, doubt your issue is with the solenoid, and more likely something else. I got a different code for the solenoid that was more about electrical issues, referring to voltage.

Quick Reply: Overdrive sensor