Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2000 Dodge 2WD BALL JOINT REPLACEMENT

Old 05-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Default 2000 Dodge 2WD BALL JOINT REPLACEMENT

Need to replace upper and lower ball joints. Never done this before. How hard is this and what tools do I need? Can anyone help
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 05-24-2009, 12:01 AM
Captain
2001 Dodge Ram 1500

Vehicle: 84 D350

Haven't done the lowers yet, but I just did an upper on my 2WD '01. It wasn't too bad, I pulled the control arm and ground off the rivets, then bolted the new one in... wasn't too bad. I only needed a couple sockets and whatnot. Hope this helps.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:24 AM
Champion
1995 Dodge Ram 1500

Vehicle: 1995 ram 1500 5.2 2wd slt ext cab

air grinder or air chisel to knock the rivets the ball joint,,, also rent/loan tool form adavance auto( they have the best ball joint press)) i did a little write up but it was on my 95 http://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-...placement.html you have rivets
Old 05-24-2009, 01:24 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks for the help everyone. Would not have to do this but I had someone hit me in my 2007 2500 on the 18th and pretty much total it out. I really liked that truck, finally got all the bugs worked out and the this happened. Bad part to it was the guy had no insurance. Well just have to start all over again, thanks everyone
Old 04-30-2010, 02:17 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: "01" Dodge Ram 1500 v8 5.9L Magnum
Question

Have same prob,
I have to do my lower ball joints on my truck really soon but have Never done ball joints on a dodge makes awful squeaks turning & such (a mechanic i trust says there bad) ,chevy pu yes pretty easy dodge is a whole new game ,have no way to grind or chisel however i do have a sledge hammer & a good cordless drill,other then that what's the easiest way ?? I'm a DIY person 2 reasons,, 1. cheaper(don't have the $) 2. like to learn lower i can see for sure 3 to 4 big rivets

Please help ..thanks
Old 04-30-2010, 08:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 01 1500 4wd

i don't think a hammer and cordless drill are going to remove those rivets. i think you'll need a higher speed tool like an air powered cutoff tool, or an electric angle grinder, or an air chisel. you might get by with an electric drill and drill out the centers, or an electric drill with a cutoff/grinder wheel. i'm afraid the cordless drill isn't going to have the high speed that you need for cutting metal and throwing sparks.
01 1500 Reg Cab 4wd 5.2 auto 3.55 285/75/16 steps tow hooks sc3815 180 3923 trans cooler filter posilok powertrax (removed) timbren britebox pioneer head rockford amp speaker cobra cb firestick hughes plenum water pump timing chain oil pump rear main hub bearings brakes shocks cracked dash cad bushings seals ujoints trackbar tcase Robert Griffin Trans
Old 04-30-2010, 11:45 AM
Professional
2001 Dodge Ram 1500

Vehicle: 1500 Ram 5.9L
Cool

When I do projects like this I make sure that I have good quality tools as for as the socket and winches are concerned. But because I'm not a professional mechanic and I do not plan on becoming one. Harbor freight is going to be your best friend. They have high-speed air grinders for eight dollars. They have a ball joint removal kit for $30. Yes the quality is somewhat less to be desired but it got me through replacing all my ball joints upper and lower.

dodgeram07: that was an excellent writeup you did!!!!!
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 2wd Automatic 5.9L K&N Drop IN Air Filter, AMS Oil By-Pass Filter, SCT Tuner, F1 Hughes Auto Intake manifold, 7 custom timing chain, Magnaflow Cat high Performance, water pump, oil pump, Mopar custom valve covers, Stock Injectors, XRF Tie Rod Ends and XFR Ball Joints, Hyper flex Master Kit - Dodge Ram - Auto 2WD.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:17 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Smile Update Lower ball joint replacement

I did replace the drivers side (LT) lower ball joint ,,
and did it without removing the lower control arm,grinding or a chiseling ,But i did remove the upper control arm brake rotor,caliper & adapter popped the upper & lower ball joint w/a puller and then took a good center punch that i had bought made a good punch mark and using the 1/2" DeWalt Pilot Point cobalt drill bit i bought, i then drilled 1/4 to 1/2 way through the center on the rivet using cutting fluid & using the punch i had and a sledge hammer knocked the rivet out after popping the head of the rivets off ,from time of start to finish took like 6 hrs.Next lower should only take me like maybe 1/2 that time the uppers i think i can do in about 2 hr's or less per side removing the upper control arm took like 15 mints

Pic's below

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Taz-man; 05-08-2010 at 03:19 AM..
Old 06-27-2010, 04:44 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Thumbs up Ball joint update

as of last week i have done both lower + both upper ball joints, man what a pain in the *** uppers only took about 4 hrs total to drill out & replace last upper joint was the passenger side took me a record 1/2 hr from the time i started to the time i had had it back together. the lower was a problem and had trouble with the drivers side see post > lower ball joint problem had gone with the house brand from O Reilly auto ended up getting the Moog all is good now

Last edited by Taz-man; 06-27-2010 at 04:46 AM..
Old 06-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2000 Ram 1500

Good call on the Moog joints. They are the best around. There are actually SCORE classes that only permit the use of their ball joints because they are so stout.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:36 AM

Tags
2000, 2500, 2wd, ball, balls, diesel, dodge, intrepid, joint, joints, lower, needed, ram, replacement, tools