2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shifter linkage problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 10:32 AM
clark84
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter linkage problem

I think the auto shift likage is loose on my truck or at least i hope thats the problem, when i put it in P its like its still halfway in reverse, i was wondering if thats an easy fix and how should i go about fixing it? i heard that there is a little screw that needs to be tightened, and can i do it myself or does someone need to be in the truck working the shifter?

Old 06-02-2009, 02:32 PM
dblj16380
Veteran

When you put the truck in park is it actually half way still in reverse or does the indicator just say that?

If it is just the indicator then yes, under the dash there is a little adjustment **** that will move the little indicator left or right by giving it a little turn.

Otherwise you have a linkage issue down at the trans and that needs to be addressed.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does it get hard to move when you put it into park like that? I know on mine I had a similar problem, and when I would shift to park, it would just stop and wouldn't go any further. Turned out that running down a gravel road threw a rock up into the linkage, and once that was removed, everything worked fine again.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:11 PM
clark84
Rookie

what its doing is when i put it in P (and its not hard to move at all) the indicator goes all the way to the left as its supposed to but it doesnt go into park, if i give it a sec and give it some gas it kinda halfway engages with reverse- grinds a little. Sometimes I get lucky and it does go into park if i really slam it, but not so much. Basically the indicator is a "guideline" of sorts to tell me where the gears are, as I have to put the indicator halfway between R and P to go in reverse. Not sure if that makes sense... so to me there should be somthing i can adjust under the truck??

Old 06-03-2009, 01:51 PM
dblj16380
Veteran

You def. have a linkage issue going down to the trans. You will want to jump under your truck and look at the linkage and look for something that came loose or something. There may be a rod down there that got slightly bent or something.

Good luck!

Old 10-24-2014, 11:55 PM
98_Ram_1500
Default Shift problem

I have the same issue sometimes it is fine(if you have a feel for each gear) but other times it won't go into park unless I run shifter up and down a few times I traced it to the linkage(looks like rod shape of an "L") that goes through the frame to the driver side of the transmission that is held in with cotter pin. Anyways main point if that is not tight it(your shifter and shift indicator on dash looses it's place and is no longer in sync) you'll know it is loose if you can grab it and it wiggles around I took a couple of washers and shimmed it tight as possible then put little springs to keep rod holding taunt(firm) in place.
Sorry for the essay but everyone is soo far from the right fix and good luck finding any info I haven't anyways

Last edited by 98_Ram_1500; 10-24-2014 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-17-2015, 12:49 PM
Shafferis21

Im having the same problem kind of... what mine is is the torque shaft has come out of the transmission bracket..so when i put the tranny back in it was not in the hole that its suppose to be in and i cannot shift into park or reverse. starts in nuetral and goes from there. Its a really tight fit and i cannot just pry it in there with my hands. how to i go about fixing this ?? please and thank you

Old 03-17-2015, 06:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by Shafferis21
Im having the same problem kind of... what mine is is the torque shaft has come out of the transmission bracket..so when i put the tranny back in it was not in the hole that its suppose to be in and i cannot shift into park or reverse. starts in nuetral and goes from there. Its a really tight fit and i cannot just pry it in there with my hands. how to i go about fixing this ?? please and thank you
Can you post a pic?

Old 03-17-2015, 08:42 PM
Shafferis21

Actually I just got it. I just took off the mounts by the rear well and that allowed me to move the entire thing.. Yea i had just replaced my torque converter thinking it was the reason for my slippage and slugish power finished everything up and took it out and it is still slipping... so im thinking it is the tranny itself...which sucks...a lot...

Old 02-13-2017, 04:02 PM
mark broad

Dang, O well. Looks like I'm doomed to have a less than 100% transmission. I had a 72' D100. Had almost 300,000 miles before the 318 blew and not one problem with the tranny. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
well thanks.

Quick Reply: Shifter linkage problem