2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need Headlight wiring diagram for 1997 Dodge Ram 1500

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 09:57 PM
wheelterrapin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Headlight wiring diagram for 1997 Dodge Ram 1500

Folks I need a wiring diagram for my 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 truck. I keep burning out the large expensive light switch and I want to wire aorund it if possible. Maybe someone has done this and can help me.

Thanks,

Paul

Old 06-11-2009, 11:06 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

What are you wiring in that keeps burning out the switch? Make sure someone didn't swap out the fuse for the head lights and put in a higher amp fuse. If the fuse is correct, you should be burning fuses before you burn your switch.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:33 PM
wheelterrapin

It is my grandson's truck and he lives with me. It burned out the switch (melted it) last year and I installed a complete new switch block assembly and it worked up until just a few weeks ago. He said his lights would flicker and then it started blowing the 25 amp fuse. He would replace the fuse and they would work for awhile and then go out. He told me he then put in a 30 amy fuse and after awhile it blew this fuse. He told me that he, and someone he knew, cut the wire going from the the headlight switch to the headlights and installed a toggle switch. When he wanted lights he would just flip the toggle switch on. He said this worked fine until one night when he got to the house he turned off the toggle switch and the lights stayed on. He then pulled the wire off of the toggle switch and they still stayed on. He said while he was doing this the lights went out and he had blown a fuse, He tells me now everytime he puts in a fuse it blows so somewhere the wire has melted against another one (I think) I need a wiring diagram to try and locate the problem and then just wire around the switch as right now the switch block is melted right where the large wire with a green tracer connects at.

Thanks for the help,

Paul

Originally Posted by Ram15002ndGen
What are you wiring in that keeps burning out the switch? Make sure someone didn't swap out the fuse for the head lights and put in a higher amp fuse. If the fuse is correct, you should be burning fuses before you burn your switch.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:30 AM
speeddemon31176
All Star

The service manual that is on here available for download is right on the money as far as wiring goes. I don't think they changed much if any of the wiring from 94-01. Every time I have needed a diagram it has been spot on. If you look for the merry christmas thread in the diy section it is there. If you can't download it or are on dial up or something like that pm me with your email address and I will email you the pages that you need.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:54 AM
Diefenbaker
Rookie

They changed the headligth wiring from postive switched to ground switched in 1999. At the same time they changed the headlight switch from pull style to turn style.
So try this 1997 wiring diagram instead of the 2001.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:59 AM
speeddemon31176
All Star

Good call. I didn't remember that one and my truck is a 97. Sorry for the bad info.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:08 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by wheelterrapin
It is my grandson's truck and he lives with me. It burned out the switch (melted it) last year and I installed a complete new switch block assembly and it worked up until just a few weeks ago. He said his lights would flicker and then it started blowing the 25 amp fuse. He would replace the fuse and they would work for awhile and then go out. He told me he then put in a 30 amy fuse and after awhile it blew this fuse. He told me that he, and someone he knew, cut the wire going from the the headlight switch to the headlights and installed a toggle switch. When he wanted lights he would just flip the toggle switch on. He said this worked fine until one night when he got to the house he turned off the toggle switch and the lights stayed on. He then pulled the wire off of the toggle switch and they still stayed on. He said while he was doing this the lights went out and he had blown a fuse, He tells me now everytime he puts in a fuse it blows so somewhere the wire has melted against another one (I think) I need a wiring diagram to try and locate the problem and then just wire around the switch as right now the switch block is melted right where the large wire with a green tracer connects at.
Sounds like you got a mess on your hands. I would guess that somewhere in there, there are some wires melted together and arching. I don't know why anyone would put a toggle switch versus a simple pull switch? I would suggest going to the dealer (or junkyard) and get a new set of wiring assembly for that switch and a new switch and make it all new. First see how badly compromised it all has become, then see if it's worth the trouble. I would be afraid to go through a lot of time and trouble and later have it all blow up on me cause I missed a simple thing somewhere, that's why I suggest a replacement. Like you said, those light switches are not cheap. All 94-97 should have the same pull switch, so there should be some at the junk yard.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:30 PM
speeddemon31176
All Star

Hey I just thought of something that just maybe might have happened. Check the wiring harness under the battery tray. the battery hold down bolt comes really close to it and I actually ran the bolt through the harness and shorted my high beam and right turn signal wires together. I had to remove the battery box and look closely to see the damage. Just a thought that you could check out. Mine happened because I put in an Optima red top and it is about an inch shorter than the factory size battery which allowed the bolt to run down that much farther.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:54 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

You also might try wiring it up with relays, so that all the switch does is activate a relay, which draws the current to the bulb. Even the 1999-2001 switches have been known to burn up occasionally, this is why I did mine with relays.

And it makes them a bit brighter to, power directly from the battery.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:07 PM
kallisto

Hello guys,
would it be any chance to repost the wiring diagram for Dodge Ram 1500 from 1997, please? It's all a little bit complicated.. my BF does not speak English and I do not speak technician, and I'm not sure that if I'd make a new thread I'd be able to explain reasonably the issue. There was some immobiliser tumor implanted on our car somewhere in Germany once upon a time.. then we brought the car to Czech Republic. Then suddenly the high beam lights turned on for ever (with "normal lights" being "hot".. like.. well.. turned on too), although everything is "turned off", like fuses, etc.. the high beams turn off only when the battery is disconnected.. geez, I beg your pardon to have such a stupid way to explain, but all we need is '97 1500 ram wiring diagram and this is the only forum I've found while being new to this..
Thank to anyone who helps in advance, guys.
Sarah

Quick Reply: Need Headlight wiring diagram for 1997 Dodge Ram 1500