2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

intake manifold and tb question revisited

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 06:04 PM
d_sinsley
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intake manifold and tb question revisited

Ok I tried responding to other threads to no avail. I have a '98 quadcab 4x4 5.2l. I have a motor im getting ready to start rebuilding for it. i have time, my motor is good but weak. so I want to take the time to do this right. I have alot of questions but my first one is what to do with the intake manifold. I have heard on here alot of people saying they did a kegger mod but cant find what they did to the damn thing. also what am I doing to the throttle body I know it needs to be bored out to a 50mm all the way through then polished how is this accomplished. Im an idiot so pictures would be dandy.

any other hints and tips would be nice. im not looking for a dragster but while its torn down I might as well have some fun with it.

devon

Old 06-30-2009, 06:19 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would suggest using the search feature. it usually works. as far as the intake manifold...depending on how much money you're willing to spend, i'd get a whole new hughes intake...if not, the kegger mod will do fine. and i wouldn't suggest boring it out to 50mm...thats a little much for just the everyday application you're stating. thats just my opinion but take it as it is.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:19 PM
Jpnorris87
Professional

DIY section. You will find everything you need.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:50 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wjxavier
i would suggest using the search feature. it usually works. as far as the intake manifold...depending on how much money you're willing to spend, i'd get a whole new hughes intake...if not, the kegger mod will do fine. and i wouldn't suggest boring it out to 50mm...thats a little much for just the everyday application you're stating. thats just my opinion but take it as it is.
I agree and respectfully disagree.

I agree that the Hughes FI intake would be the best route, but more expensive. I did the "kegger mod" myself at the same time as the plenum gasket repair/fix (Hughes plenum plate kit), and like the results.

I respectfully disagree about the TB. 50mm is about perfect for the 5.2L. On a stock setup, it may be a touch to much, but add a few other bolt-ons and a tuner of some sort, and you'll like it even more. For my 5.9L, I purchased the Fastman's 52mm setup. Coupled with the modified intake (which was also bored out to 52mm), definite improvements.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:59 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

Jason, I looked at the kegger mod a while back and if I remember correctly all it did was to break out the plate in the middle. I imagine that plate was there for a reason to direct the air flow to the particular chambers, so wouldn't the lack of it create a chaotic air flow inside the kegger? If it doesn't, what was the improvement it gave you? More horse power, more low end, high end?

Old 06-30-2009, 08:05 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I noticed the biggest gain at higher speeds on the highway. Accelerates better at those speeds.

Not sure what the point of the center plate was, but not all our trucks have it, IIRC. Regardless, thats not the only thing you do with a "kegger mod". You also cut down all the runners inside the manifold. For a 5.2L, you'd want to cut them down a little, but not all the way. For a 5.9L, you can cut them almost all the way down. (I believe thats also stated in the DIY.)

As far as MPG improvement, I can't say with any accuracy. I fixed my plenum gasket at the same time, so whether my roughly 2 MPG improvement was due to the gasket being fixed, the modified intake, or both, I cannot say. I am a very spirited driver, so I'd be willing to bet the improvement was mostly from the plenum gasket, but again, I can't say that with any accuracy.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:20 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ah yes jason...you are correct. for some reason my mind has left me lately. i kept thinking 50mm is larger the smaller the number is...idk why lol. dyslexia. regardless, i thought the stock holley tb's were already 50mm....

Old 06-30-2009, 08:23 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

The stocker isn't 50mm all the way through. They started at 50mm, but tapered to about 48mm or something like that.

What you can do, or let the Fastman do, for your 5.2L is bore it out so its 50mm all the way through.

The 52mm requires a bit more work with new butterflies and such, so I just let the Fastman do mine.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:31 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wjxavier
ah yes jason...you are correct. for some reason my mind has left me lately. i kept thinking MM is larger the smaller the number is...idk why lol. dyslexia. regardless, i thought the stock holley tb's were already 50mm....
That is what a mod book I have said but I went and measured it and it was 49MM

Old 07-01-2009, 02:12 PM
d_sinsley
Default ok im an idiot

found the diy section and the answers im looking for thanks guys

Quick Reply: intake manifold and tb question revisited