2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge May Start Dash Recall Soon

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 12:32 PM
babyhuey6810
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one split in my 2k.Its right across the dash.I will have it fixed at just dashes.Expensive,but I hate a dhashboard crack.I once had an 84 honda accord with a rusted fule neck,was recalled in 91 or 92.They will fix an old vehicle if Obama tells them to.PS Ram1500,seatbelts were available since the late 60's but Iacocoa opposed them when he was at ford.Come to think of it Iacoca opposed airbags too.It was expensive technology then,but when safety became a buzzword,Lee hopped on the train.It does explain why gm can sell a car in Chinee' for 10k.No bags,abs,emissions,converters,etc.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:40 PM
jethornton
Thumbs down Really? This is the Owner's Fault?

I read through this thread a few years ago, and went through it again today, after talking with Dodge (in futility) about their crappy dash, yet one more time. I've owned three Chrysler products, two of them Dodge, and retain one of them, a 2001 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT QuadCab. The other Dodge, a 1993 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT single cab remains in use by another owner, with the original engine and tranny (automatic).

I've filed complaints at the NHTSA and with a private website, carcomplaints.com, and I will be pursuing remedy through a pending class action suit.

There were a number that noted the original poster had an older vehicle, and either implied or outright stated their skepticism as to whether it was Dodge's fault, or they thought the owner should just suck it up and buy a replacement dash, because, after all, this is a forum for DODGE OWNERS, deluded or not. I think over the past few years, it has been proven without a shadow of doubt that Dodge is responsible for the dash failures, and that it is a manufacturing defect. Denying it won't change it, but perhaps in the end the Feds will.

One item that hasn't been discussed in this thread is the under-dash wiring's insulation exposure to direct sunlight when the dash falls in, and the affect on the condition of that insulation from UV exposure. The insulation isn't rated for direct exposure to sunlight, so it will degrade over time, rotting off and exposing bare live wires. The end result will be short to ground and an accompanying fuse failure or worse, a fire started in the cab.

Who in the world builds a vehicle with a disintegrating dash and refuses any responsibility for it? Dodge, and only Dodge, is the answer. How's it feel to be loyal to a company that takes your money and runs when a problem arises?

I have enjoyed the truck (Cummins builds a great engine), and have owned it for nearly 12 years, but once the dash gets fixed, I'm getting rid of it. It is a liability.

Will I own another Dodge? Not likely. The quality of Chrysler/Dodge products have gone down over the past decade or so, and with Fiat's purchase, it has gotten only worse. I'd like to think that Walter Chrysler and the Dodge boys are all spinning in their graves over the present circumstances, but I don't think that would matter a whit to the C-Suiters that run Fiat-Chrysler. The brand no longer matters, other than perpetuating sales to suckers, and those too poor to buy something better.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:56 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/thr...awsuit.143035/

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!!!

While I will agree Chrysler dropped the ball on 1994-2003 dashes (and a few other widespread issues like the dreaded C-Clips), I will at least give them credit for dropping the manufacturer mid contract and going with a new source. Do I think they should have bitten the bullet and replaced cracked dashes (and rebuilt rear ends) by extending the warranty period specifically for these issues? Without a doubt.

However, by your post, it's obvious you're not aware that GM has been dealing with the same issue and continues to as they still use the same manufacturer. And yes, the Tahoe, Yukon, Suburban, Silverado and Sierra crowd blow up GM/Chevy forums to this day. (While this thread has gone 5 years without a single post). See above for link. You are obviously either an uninformed consumer or butt hurt because FCA won't fix the dash on your 15 year old truck you bought from Daimler/Chrysler by stating Dodge is the only manufacturer with cracked dash issues when it's far from the truth.

There's no manufacturer today worth a sh*t IMO, when it comes to owning up to mistakes/flaws and doing right by ths customer. I personally think Ford is probably the worst. At least if yo went to a dealer in your warranty period, Dodge would have replaced the cracked dash. Ford has been making people eat $20,000 engine repairs inside the warranty period almost since the day they debuted the 6.0 Powerjoke...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 08-21-2015 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:26 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your post is hilarious. I would like to thank you for my daily laugh.

Dodge sure did make a *****y truck didn't they? That's why I see at least 20 different ones a day rolling down the road. Towing, hauling, being beaten by idiot teenagers.

Too bad that damn dash stopped everyone from buying a good truck. SMH.

A brand new ram has a better chance of the electronic t case catching on fire than your little wiring short fiasco. And it's something that has actually happened.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:16 PM
LoneWolfArcher
Professional

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
Your post is hilarious. I would like to thank you for my daily laugh.

Dodge sure did make a *****y truck didn't they? That's why I see at least 20 different ones a day rolling down the road. Towing, hauling, being beaten by idiot teenagers.

Too bad that damn dash stopped everyone from buying a good truck. SMH.

A brand new ram has a better chance of the electronic t case catching on fire than your little wiring short fiasco. And it's something that has actually happened.
I love my Ram, but hate my dashboard cracks!

Old 08-21-2015, 07:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

The truck is WELL out of warranty, and most certainly past the mileage limit as well. A cracked dash is NOT a safety issue, therefore, doesn't warrant a recall. You are wasting time and money on litigation. You will lose.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:13 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

First of all, his 2001 is past the statute of limitations to file a class action suit in all but a couple of states. Secondly, to file a class action suit for a defective product, there has to be either personal injury (feeling butt hurt doesn't count) or financial loss caused by a company's ILLEGAL business practices. Third, because there is no real monetary loss (yeah there is a nominal cost in replacing the dash), there is no meat for an attorney to receive. Furthermore, these people have had use of the vehicles for 12-20 years to date. An argument can be made since the average car life is 11 years, these people are using better vehicles than average.

Just like the guy who started the thread about filing a grievance with th NHTSA against GM in the link I provided, it's never going to see the light of a recall, nor is there ANY chance of an attorney tackling this on a contingency basis as there is zero chance to win and even if there were, there are no real damages to collect.

Now I'm not going to condemn anyone for filing a complaint with the NHTSA if you feel you have a safety concern, just like the OP did. But to throw lawyers and class action suit talk into the post is simply talking through a paper a$$hole...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 08-21-2015 at 08:27 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:41 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

A vehicle "lifetime" is 100,000 miles or 10 years... so even a lifetime warranty is toast by now.
Manufacturers only have to supply parts for 15yrs after release.
My 98 has been out in the sun its entire life, with no dash care (armorall, etc), and the dash didn't give out until 15yrs and over 100k.
Just under $150 fixed it with a cap... and for around $250 you can have a new dash (I saved this option for when I have to do a heater core).
I want to know how much time effort and money it's going to cost to try and have FCA replace a dash on your dinosaur... penny wise, pound foolish?

Old 08-22-2015, 12:01 PM
Jimythefan
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I knew I shouldn't have clicked this link. I checked it when it was resurrected a couple days ago and my dash cracked this morning when I closed my door.

It's disappointing but not unexpected. Guess I'll be looking in to the LMC replacement.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:05 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Dash covers plus just came out with a replacement(not cover)made from ABS plastic with a LIFETIME WARRANTY! Down side it costs $321 ($419 shipped) OUCH!

http://www.dashcoversplus.com/site/1427228/page/864510

Quick Reply: Dodge May Start Dash Recall Soon