2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Going wheelin this weekend!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 01:44 AM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Going wheelin this weekend!

Going off roading this week end. Things to check out before I hit the trails and after I'm done. I'm going to meet up with a few guy's at http://www.rc4x4.org/index.php. Its about a 2hr run for me to get there. I'll bring a cam to take pic's when I'm on the trail. Is there any good place to put a tow strap to the front end of out trucks in case I get stuck? I don't have tow hooks. I know for the rear I can sue the hitch. I can't wait!! I plan on going up the 25th of july if anyone wants to come pm me.

Any tips will be good as well. I plan on taking the od off for more power down low. Also filling up before I get to the park. Lift won't be on. It should be here today. I'll have pic's of the lift as well When It gets on.

Last edited by dodge15004x45.9; 07-09-2009 at 02:15 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

2 hours is a long ride for a tow truck .

i used the cross member when i buried mine one time, thats why the bottom bar on my brush guard isn't straight anymore. put a nice little lip on the hole i hooked it to also. i have a reciever that i cut the ends off of to make it perfectly flat and i plan on bolting then welding it to the bottom of that crossmember so i will have a shackle sticking out of the middle of the plastic on my bumper. whenever i get around to putting it on i'm gonna post pictures of it on here.

you will get better results as far as not getting stuck if you get some speed before you hit the mud. fast enough to get through but not so fast that if you hit the side of the hole you'll flip.

you can work open diffs a little by working the brakes and gas a little rather than just flooring it and hoping for the best.

also if you have any tread wrapping around the sidewalls then you can walk the front tires out when you get bogged down. just work the wheels back and forth and the sides of the tires will grab a little and help your chances of getting out.

od off won't give you more power down low, if your wheeling then you won't get fast enough to get into overdrive.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Steel Horse
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hooked it to my Brush guard, but wait you dont have one. GET A BRUSH GUARD! or hooks. IM just kidding. Well hell if you wernt do dam far i would go in a heart beat. Have Fun!

Old 07-09-2009, 11:54 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you have to have the right kind of brush guard. some aren't strong enough to pull with, thats why i'm gonna get a front hitch with a shackle in it.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:27 PM
Steel Horse
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
you have to have the right kind of brush guard. some aren't strong enough to pull with, thats why i'm gonna get a front hitch with a shackle in it.
It looks like you and i have the same Brush guard. I would love to have a front replacement, but dam those things are exspensive. I do a lot of 4 wheeling and i wont but a hitch on mine. Thats why i finally just dumped my exaust. I kept on crushin my pipes

Old 07-09-2009, 03:03 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend

I'm a tow truck now? When did I get a cummins.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:15 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge15004x45.9
I'm a tow truck now? When did I get a cummins.
They are saying that 2 hours is a long time to ride in a tow truck once you have to be towed home for tearing something out of your truck...

Now, I am sure my following advice is going to get flamed but I don't care.

Since you don't have front tow hooks, I suggest you remove your plastic lower front valence, and hope that you can hook a tow strap (ONLY A STRAP) to your front axle. By removing the valence, hopefully, you wont tear it up with the strap, course in hind sight, you could leave it in place to hopefully reduce damage to your front bumper. Another option would be to fab up some tow hooks before you leave.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:30 PM
dodgeboy7
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your taking a stock dodge ram to raush creek that funny what are you going to do watch. I use to racing atv there in less you have a jeep or a all out trial truck your not going to get out the parking lot. I think your a little over your head on that one. My 2 cents would be found someone that going and ride with them your first time so you know what you getting your seft into.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:22 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend

What about some of the light trails? I was looking at some pics on there site it didn't look to bad. The trip is a green/blue ride.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:26 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your taking a stock dodge ram to raush creek that funny what are you going to do watch. I use to racing atv there in less you have a jeep or a all out trial truck your not going to get out the parking lot. I think your a little over your head on that one. My 2 cents would be found someone that going and ride with them your first time so you know what you getting your seft into.
...so very true.

Quick Reply: Going wheelin this weekend!