2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lift & Factory Rake Question

Old 07-30-2009, 08:47 AM
sungod
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ram15002ndGen
I can tell you that your original premise of a rake is wrong. These trucks have no rake at all when new. Take it from someone who special ordered his truck from the factory. Mine was flat as a board for many months when I first got it. After 9-12 months then the springs started pushing up the back. It's not an intentional design, it's just that the back end is too light for the springs and that's why you get a rake. If you want to level your truck in any way it will look good and even.

This is a joke, right??? Please tell me it is a joke. Please.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:53 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sungod
Oh please bother. As I said before, show me the bolt, cam, sleeve, etc that you use to adjust caster. Your lack of respone show you clearly do not know anything about which you are speaking. The best thing you can do is keep your mouth shut and not respond. Unless of course you can point me to the device I need to adjust caster. You would cearly be the smartest person on the planet because up until now there was no mechanical means to adjust caster.

LOL, They are called " Cam Bolts " and they are located on the lower suspension arms. Keep digging the hole deeper dude.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:56 AM
charlie1935
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh please bother. As I said before, show me the bolt, cam, sleeve, etc that you use to adjust caster. Your lack of respone show you clearly do not know anything about which you are speaking. The best thing you can do is keep your mouth shut and not respond. Unless of course you can point me to the device I need to adjust caster. You would cearly be the smartest person on the planet because up until now there was no mechanical means to adjust caster.
I don't know about the setup on Dodge 4x4's specifically, but I do know that caster is adjusted by shims on trucks with a solid non driven front axle.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:04 AM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zman17
LOL, They are called " Cam Bolts " and they are located on the lower suspension arms. Keep digging the hole deeper dude.
Like For new guy SHUT YR TRAP!

Old 07-30-2009, 10:22 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sungod, I must be the smartest person on the planet. Please allow me to bother while I educate you.

Caster
Caster is the relationship between the steering axis and tire vertical. Zero caster is when the steering axis is vertical. When the steering axis is tilted backwards it is said to have a positive caster. Caster angle is important for steering stability and handling. Caster is changed by rotating the cam bolts on the axle end of the lower control arms.

Camber
Camber is the measurement of the angle of the tire from vertical when seen from the front or rear. You cannot adjust camber (since your wheels are mounted to a fixed axle) unless you employ offset ball joints.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:31 AM
sungod
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zman17
You realize that for every inch you add you change caster about 1.2 degrees? So when you add two inches, your caster will change about 2.4 degrees. You can not adjust that out. Your springs will not seat properly on your axle and your srings will be bowed. There is no way around that. It is simple geometry. You incease the distance from your axle from the frame, something has to change. You can't adjust it out. Plain and simple. Adjustable arms, cams, etc. It doesn't matter.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:34 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You realize that for every inch you add you change caster about 1.2 degrees? So when you add two inches, your caster will change about 2.4 degrees. You can not adjust that out. Your springs will not seat properly on your axle and your srings will be bowed. There is no way around that. It is simple geometry. You incease the distance from your axle from the frame, something has to change. You can't adjust it out. Plain and simple. Adjustable arms, cams, etc. It doesn't matter.
Wrong again.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:37 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

That's why the lift companies also sell longer arms. But, that was not the debate! Caster is adjustable, simple as that.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:38 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh please bother. As I said before, show me the bolt, cam, sleeve, etc that you use to adjust caster. Your lack of respone show you clearly do not know anything about which you are speaking. The best thing you can do is keep your mouth shut and not respond. Unless of course you can point me to the device I need to adjust caster. You would cearly be the smartest person on the planet because up until now there was no mechanical means to adjust caster. wheels are mounted to a fixed axle) unless you employ offset ball joints.

Do you even know how to turn a wrench?

What is Camber and How do I Correct it?

So you’ve installed lowering springs or raised your vehicle. It looks great, but your wheels are slanted and tires are wearing. Sounds like you need a camber kit! Camber is measured in degrees, both positive and negative. Camber can be the result of a bad alignment, wearing parts and changing the ride height on your vehicle; rather raising or lowering it. Camber takes valuable rubber off the road by ridding on the edges of the tires instead of the traction patch. With proper camber adjustment and alignment correction, the car will be more responsive, handle better wet and dry and your tires will last the manufacturers lifetime rating.

Negative Camber

When the top of the tire is more towards the center of the vehicle and the bottom is outwards, that is measured in negative camber. Negative camber wears the inside of your tires at a rapid rate. Lowering a vehicle brings the entire chassis closer to the tires. Everything is moving downwards except the tires. Obviously they cannot go down any more because they are on the ground. Since suspension is put together with the factory ride height in mind, parts are made to be installed and have near 0 degree camber. By lowering the suspension components but not the wheel, the wheel in essence lowers itself by tilting inwards. A camber kit corrects this problem by extending the length of the upper control arm, allowing the ball joint which holds the control arm in place to be adjusted. It can be moved out for negative camber correction or in for positive correction. This along with an alignment correction is the ultimate defense against camber wear.

Positive Camber

When the bottom of the tire is more inwards and the top is out, that is referred to as positive camber. Positive camber wears the outside of the tires at a rapid rate. Positive camber is generally the result of a bad alignment or wearing ball joint. A camber kit is not usually required for this because replacing the faulty part and realignment generally pulls everything into spec. One time a camber kit will be needed for positive camber is when the vehicles ride height is raised. When it is raised, it puts stress on the top ball joint because the wheels lifting motion conflicts with the ball joint position therefore pushing it to the side. With an adjustable camber kit, this is corrected by sliding the ball joint back inwards, towards the motor, to bring the wheel back into spec.

A Short Course on Wheel Alignment

Positive caster improves straight line tracking because the caster line (the line drawn through the steering pivot when viewed from the side) intersects the ground ahead of the contact patch of the tire. Just like a shopping cart caster, the wheel is forced behind the pivot allowing the vehicle to track in a straight line.

If this is the case, then why did most cars have negative caster specs prior to 1975 ? There are a couple of reasons for this. In those days, people were looking for cars that steered as light as a feather, and cars back then were not equipped with radial tires. Non-radial tires had a tendency to distort at highway speed so that the contact patch moved back past the centerline of the tire (Picture a cartoon car speeding along, the tires are generally drawn as egg-shaped). The contact patch generally moves behind the caster line causing, in effect, a positive caster. This is why, when you put radial tires on this type of car, the car wanders from side to side and no longer tracks straight. To correct this condition, re-adjust the caster to positive and the car should steer like a new car.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:19 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Here it is, after all you did ask.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lift & Factory Rake Question