2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lighting Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 11:37 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lighting Need help!

Soo i just installed these headlights:

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/mytig...lights-big.jpg

And I gotta say they looks sick. Everything was working fine, but i dont know why but im having problems.

THe connections to the headlights are power wires and ground wires from the halos and leds. Those were spliced into the parking lights as instructed (only instructions i recieved)

The rest of the lights were plug and play. There is one stock light connector leading to both lights .There are already bulbs within the lights. This is the plug and play I mentioned above. THe original turn signal light is reused.

Problem 1: The truck seems to think my high beams are stuck on all the time. The cab indicator light ( for high beams) is always on. I can switch from high to low, but the indicator light stays on.

Problem2: Because my truck thinks my high beams are on, i cannot put on my fog lights at the same time as my head lights.

Problem3: The headlights, when on look great, but they are dim as hell. When high beams are on the halo light ( one in the middle of picture) goes off and the head light is amazingly bright.( i believe that is supposed to happen)

4: For some reason, after driving for a lil the halo/ led lights stay on after i turn truck off.

5. Latest problem, high beams are stuck on. All lights exept for halos and the high beams( first light in picture. on left) are always on even after i turn truck off. Toggling lights does nothing, along with toggling high/ low beam switch.

Im really confused, i dont know what do to. This was supposed to be a simple plug and play application. I really dont have that much experience with electrical. But i must say, when theyre on and working or even when theyre on they looks awsome

Old 08-06-2009, 11:49 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

This isnt the exact set of lights i bought, but it is the same wiring set up.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/mytig...eadlight18.jpg

Old 08-06-2009, 11:49 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Something's not right here. The stock light housings are a single bulb with dual filaments (Hi/Lo beam). You now have replacement housings that have separate bulbs for high/low, right? Seems like something should be done with the wiring to achieve this, pretty much like a Sport model like mine, which has 2 separate bulbs in the housings and different wiring than a standard RAM.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:52 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ 1+ Did you modify for the dual bulb setup? That's something you might want to look into. I hope that Jason sees this thread, since I think that he is the go to for it. He made a nice little wiring diagram up, if only I could find it....

Old 08-06-2009, 11:54 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
Something's not right here. The stock light housings are a single bulb with dual filaments (Hi/Lo beam). You now have replacement housings that have separate bulbs for high/low, right? Seems like something should be done with the wiring to achieve this, pretty much like a Sport model like mine, which has 2 separate bulbs in the housings and different wiring than a standard RAM.
Yeh, there are two seperate bulbs for hight and low. If you look in my second post ( sorry for late post) that picture shows the wiring. There is a blue wire, high beam, that goes to the middle halo light, and red that goes to the normal head light along with their own grounds. But yeah, your correct lol.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:55 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
^ 1+ Did you modify for the dual bulb setup? That's something you might want to look into. I hope that Jason sees this thread, since I think that he is the go to for it. He made a nice little wiring diagram up, if only I could find it....
No i didnt, this was supposed to be a plug and play application. Theres only one wiring harnass that connects the two bulbs. I guess i gotta adjust for that?

Old 08-06-2009, 11:57 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

You might want to upgrade the wiring. That honestly looks a little cheap IMO.

You might want to check, that set you bought might have been made for a sport conversion. Odd, I know, but still possible.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:59 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

Yeah, thanks ill check that. Anyone know of any good car wiring places? heh

Well i checked the lights out and no specification on sport or not.

Last edited by Mowhawk; 08-07-2009 at 12:02 AM. Reason: added information
Old 08-07-2009, 12:04 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

Well, honestly, I would just see if you can upgrade to a lower gauge wire.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:07 AM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
Well, honestly, I would just see if you can upgrade to a lower gauge wire.
Why lower guage?

Quick Reply: Lighting Need help!