Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hard to start the first time; ok afterwards. Help?

Old 09-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1996 Ram 3500 V10 4x4

Excellent instructions on removing the TB above, but I would check the fuel pressure first. Its easy to check and could cause the symptoms. I had the same symptoms on a different vehicle (not my Dodge) and it turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator. Being old enough to have lots of experience with carburetors, cold start symptoms being related to fuel pressure didn't make sense so I checked a lot of things before the fuel pressure which it turned out to be. Good luck!
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 09-01-2009, 11:44 PM
Veteran
2000 Buick LeSabre
My Garage

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Talking

I did this today, HELL YEAH IT WORKED!!!! I did not replace the IAC but i will when i get a chance. It starts smooth and stays smooth. Thanks for the info and good luck to you. Remember... aluminum does not like overtorquing!!

Oh, by the way... make sure you unhook the battery. I forgot to and started it after this was done. Idled at 2200. Reset computer after just to be safe. 1995 just undo the neg battery connection and turn key to on position. YOU'RE DONE. DRIVE SAFE OR SELL IT!!!

Last edited by mnewbolds; 09-01-2009 at 11:47 PM..
Old 09-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Record Breaker
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 96 Dodge RAM 1500 4WD
Send a message via Yahoo to cmckenna Send a message via Skype™ to cmckenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDually View Post
Excellent instructions on removing the TB above, but I would check the fuel pressure first. Its easy to check and could cause the symptoms. I had the same symptoms on a different vehicle (not my Dodge) and it turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator. Being old enough to have lots of experience with carburetors, cold start symptoms being related to fuel pressure didn't make sense so I checked a lot of things before the fuel pressure which it turned out to be. Good luck!
What were the symptoms? I would like to get some information so that I can build up my own knowledge bank. Mine just up and died on me last year without any warning while in commute. No symptoms etc. It just up and died.
05 2500 4WD SLT Diesel / 96 Dodge Ram 1500, 4WD, Hughes FI Airgap, Edlebrock RPM heads, Sharps, Hughes T-chain set, custom -6AN Al billet fuel rails, Bosch FIs, JBA headers, JBA 3" CAT back, F&B TB, -6AN SS PTFE supply lines, Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Pulstar Plugs, Magnecor Racing 8MMs, SCT Tuned, MSD Coilpack, Volant CAI, Trutrac 4.56 gears
Old 09-03-2009, 05:10 PM

Tags
1998, 2002, 52l, cold, dakota, dodge, hard, hot, iac, idle, pickup, ram, rough, start, starting, stratus, testing