2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

P0601 code ecm

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 10:52 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speeddemon31176
Horse s**t. The only thing you need to watch for is that you get one that has the correct plug setup on it and that it is for either manual or automatic transmission depending on what you have. All the computer does is control engine management and transmission shift patterns. What would knowing your vin and mileage do. Answer:nothing. ask any time man.
No, its not horse****. Good luck passing PA inspection if you ever try to pull that. When the hook the computer up to it and compair the vin's... it won't pass. OP, also take into account what jasonw said. Oh, one more thing speeddemon, the pcm does not control shift patterns, only torque converter lockup.

I am actually in the same boat as you OP. I currently have the 0601 code too and have been researching computers for a couple weeks. I plan on buying a rebuilt computer from napa and installing provided my buddy can still hook me up when I get back home labor day weekend. I wouldn't be pissed off at that shop btw because odds are they called dodge for a pcm. When I called dodge for a quote to do it myself, it was $728 with a discount I believe so 1000 sounds about right because you are going to pay list price for the pcm + install + shop rape fee. Also after reading more about the code itself, it turns out it is fairly common to happen in dodge pcms, so while you may be saving a buck to get a used one, it may turn around and do the same thing again next week. One final thing is, the truck will continue to run even with the code. I have been running with mine for a solid three weeks now with no issues. The entire pcm did not fail, but rather a small part isn't communicating so I assume it is using the default value the pcms are programed with for whatever is failing. I don't know how inspection works in Nebraska (if you need it every year like PA) but if you dont need inspection, you will be fine to run the truck like it is for now. Oh, lets also not forget about the possibility of the 'No Bus" issue even if you do get a used pcm out of a junkyard. You need to find an identical truck pretty much. Not just correct plugs and trans setup as speeddemon said. But there is a little bit more to it than that. Correct plugs on pcm won't matter because your looking for a specific year pcm (your year ... 2001). Engine size matters (5.2 vs 5.9), trans, are you 4x4? etc. Lots of things to consider. The dealership might be able to reprogram for you these specifics, but do not quote me on that. Like I said I am going to take the guess work out of it and order a rebuilt one that has my info programed into it. Wish you luck!

Old 08-26-2009, 06:06 PM
Mic Wrath

Thanks for all the advice. I bought a rebuilt and reprogrammed ecm from http://www.autocomputerexchange.com/Product/156. With shiping air the total cost will be $300. They program it by your vin, milage and your old ecm part number. It will get here in 1-2 days. I will let you all know if it works. Thanks again for all you input and I'll let you all know how it turns out. Wish me luck.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:02 PM
Ram_Me
Captain

Wait. It said it will include the latest updates from Chrysler. Does that mean he'll have the death flash?

Old 08-26-2009, 08:26 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by Ram_Me
Wait. It said it will include the latest updates from Chrysler. Does that mean he'll have the death flash?
He has an 01, he'd have it anyway.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:54 PM
speeddemon31176
All Star

Originally Posted by pcfixerpro
No, its not horse****. Good luck passing PA inspection if you ever try to pull that. When the hook the computer up to it and compair the vin's... it won't pass. OP, also take into account what jasonw said. Oh, one more thing speeddemon, the pcm does not control shift patterns, only torque converter lockup.

I am actually in the same boat as you OP. I currently have the 0601 code too and have been researching computers for a couple weeks. I plan on buying a rebuilt computer from napa and installing provided my buddy can still hook me up when I get back home labor day weekend. I wouldn't be pissed off at that shop btw because odds are they called dodge for a pcm. When I called dodge for a quote to do it myself, it was $728 with a discount I believe so 1000 sounds about right because you are going to pay list price for the pcm + install + shop rape fee. Also after reading more about the code itself, it turns out it is fairly common to happen in dodge pcms, so while you may be saving a buck to get a used one, it may turn around and do the same thing again next week. One final thing is, the truck will continue to run even with the code. I have been running with mine for a solid three weeks now with no issues. The entire pcm did not fail, but rather a small part isn't communicating so I assume it is using the default value the pcms are programed with for whatever is failing. I don't know how inspection works in Nebraska (if you need it every year like PA) but if you dont need inspection, you will be fine to run the truck like it is for now. Oh, lets also not forget about the possibility of the 'No Bus" issue even if you do get a used pcm out of a junkyard. You need to find an identical truck pretty much. Not just correct plugs and trans setup as speeddemon said. But there is a little bit more to it than that. Correct plugs on pcm won't matter because your looking for a specific year pcm (your year ... 2001). Engine size matters (5.2 vs 5.9), trans, are you 4x4? etc. Lots of things to consider. The dealership might be able to reprogram for you these specifics, but do not quote me on that. Like I said I am going to take the guess work out of it and order a rebuilt one that has my info programed into it. Wish you luck!

What part of a PA inspection involves hooking up to your OBD II port and verifying that the computer is programmed with the vin and mileage? I have never done that to any vehicle for an inspection and I have never seen it done. You do your visual inspection for safety and a visual for emissions and test the gas cap. Where do you live in PA that they changed the rules? When I stated that he only needs to find one that matches up to his vehicle per engine and trans. I would have to assume that if he has 4x4 that he would correlate the same with that as well. Perhaps I over estimated his abilities, but I don't go around assuming anyone is an idiot nor do I try to demean anyone while discussing their issues. The only reason a shop would call Dodge for that part is if they were trying to burn him on the price of the job. It would be more advantageous of them, while still dirty dealing, to get a new ECM/PCM from a parts store and charge him for a dodge unit. My apologies for misquoting that the ECM/PCM controls shift patterns. You are correct in that it controls convertor lock up.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:01 PM
dodgeboy7
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In some towns in pa emissons dont have to be done. Dont know why i think it got something to do with how many people live in the town. I use to work in a loc shop and Pa makes you hook all obo2 on a emissons system and it looks for stored codes and uncleared monitors and the first thing we do it take your registration and use the bar code and scan it that tells the emissions systems your vin your miles the last time you had it done (once a year). Your vin is stored in the pcm and when the emission system is hooked up to the truck it see they do match a fails right away. And pcprofixer is right 1000$ is not a bad price for a shop but yea it extremem easliy to do it your self and you save alot of money doing it. Your did the right thing but buying a reman one and had it programed. Hope that helps

Old 08-26-2009, 10:06 PM
speeddemon31176
All Star

When did they start doing the OBD II hookup?

Old 08-27-2009, 01:02 AM
004x41500
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

also for future reference, if you do ever replace and pcm, match the part numbers.
and i believe the mileage and vin, are stored somewhere else in the truck. ive replaced one on a 01 ram 1500 4x4 5.9, and the mileage was the same, even though the truck it came from had more miles on it, than this one did.

or maybe i just got lucky. who knows, but it ran fine, and sold a week later.
yes i work at a car dealership. lol.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:54 PM
Mic Wrath
Default It's Fixed!

I got the ECM in the mail and replaced the old one. It runs great! No check engine light, no death flash and it seems to have made it run smoother? Thanks for all the help and if this happens to anyone else, use this exsample and it will all work out.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:18 PM
lonwulfe
Default Fixed it myself, saving over $600!!!

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 with similar problems. I used the information in this post and fixed it myself saving over $600 from the quote I was issued from the dealership. I used the same website to obtain my PCM for about $250 and even had it express mailed up here to Alaska and was back on the road in a matter of days.

Additional tips: Use a 6" extension with your ratchet to help reach the 5/16 bolts attaching the PCM to the firewall.
Also if you remove the Air Filter cover, you can give yourself a few more inches of room to work which made things much easier getting the PCM and my hands in there.

I have no mechanical background and I fixed this by myself in about 30 minutes.
Thanks again. I'll be sure to check back with dodge forum again if needed. This was a really helpful tool and saved me tons of cash!

Quick Reply: P0601 code ecm