2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Finally!!! A resilution to my sputtering prob

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 01:24 PM
frankie27
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Finally!!! A resilution to my sputtering prob

AFTER IT WAS THE UPSTREAM O2SENSOR, i unplugged it and reset the comp. and drove it much snappier!! wow,

Old 08-26-2009, 01:45 PM
frankie27
Rookie

then i hooked it up again and it immediatley started acting up again, unhooked it reset the comp and fixed it, plugs are starting to brown up alittle before they were white not good now its getting some fuel. so all i need now is new cat and 2 new sensors. any ideas on a cat, thats good but wont make me go broke!!!OH ya the way i reset the comp, was by unhooking the the negative and turned key over for 20 seconds and then hooked negative back up, drove truck up to 60mph. worked dont know what it does to go 60 but it worked runs good!!! its like getting my best friend back. and best of all i dont have to listen to my wife nagging about all the $ i spent. thankyou everyone for the help and info. so to all of you with sputtering and hesitation backfiring ect. unplug o2 sensors and reset comp, and see what that does.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:20 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I knew it had to be your CAT. The only reason why they tell you to go to 60 is to get some data into your computer. Then, from that data, it creates a baseline to start tuning off of.

What year is your truck? What size engine? Let me see what kind of 02 sensors should be in there. I can not believe that they sell them without a connector and just bare ends.

You would get a direct replacement CAT from Magnaflow, FLowmaster, OEM- big bucks for OEM, or any number of places that sell direct fits for your model.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:19 PM
mr.318
Rookie

I found the 02'S AT O''REILLYS have the connecteds on them, The ones from the zone and advance have to be spliced in, univ. i guess something to cause more problems,

Old 08-26-2009, 03:19 PM
frankie27
Rookie

98 ram 1500 360 4x4 , cat doesnt have to be oem just new, all the mechanic shops said that the sensor wouldnt cause it to run that bad, boy were they wrong!!! but it needed the plenum job, and valve cover gaskets. and tune up, so all in all not a bad deal. let me know what to get for sensors that would be great. and where should i look for a good cheaper cat?

Old 08-26-2009, 03:20 PM
frankie27
Rookie

i live in a little hick town lagrande OR. all we have is baxters, and napa.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:17 PM
frankie27
Rookie
Wink

ive read alot of threads about people with the same problems that i was having, and no answers, so give the front o2sensor a try, because i was stumped and so was the mechanics i took it to but thats what it ws.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:07 PM
SoCal_Ram
Default Truck Backfiring, Lurching at 55-60mph

99 5.9L 4x2 (91K) Truck started lurching on the highway 55-60mph. It does it a bit at slower or faster speeds but not as bad as 55-60. No CEL. I replaced the cat in January and I think I replaced the 8mm wires/plugs at about 75K (can't find my manual right now).

I opened the hood and did the following: 1. Tightened a loose bolt on headers 2. cleaned the electrical connections to injectors 3. checked that all wires were on tight

Now the truck has a bad idle while still cold and backfires. It improves as the truck warms-up but still lurches at highway speeds. Also if I accelerate at 3K rpms it will initially have some backfire/lurch problems but then runs smoothly.

The only thing that I've done to it recently is put gas in it!

Any ideas?

Old 09-28-2009, 02:17 PM
halfamil
All Star

Distributor cap for you SoCal Ram.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:30 PM
halfamil
All Star

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-23285/ Here is the one I used and am very, very happy with.Easy intallation also,changed it by myself,If you don't have alot of expertease get one person to help,It will make it much easier.Also be prepared to buy some new clamps and maybe a sleeve coupling or something.

Quick Reply: Finally!!! A resilution to my sputtering prob