2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Squealing belt?????

Old 08-30-2009, 09:30 AM
f0glifter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Squealing belt?????

Please someone tell me I dont have to listen to this forever. I have a 2001 v8 5.2 and there is a terrible squeal coming from the belt. I have replaced Idler pulley, Tensioner & Pulley, Water pump & pulley, Powersteering pump & pulley,and the crankshaft pulley. I have tried the wide spectrum of belts available from the cheapest 10 dollar one to they more expensive versions, I think i have a dayco belt on right now. The sound goes away for about 10 minutes after I swap the belt out ( each time) but comes back. It used to only happen when it was damp outside or cold. If I spray a lubricant on the ribbed side of the belt it shuts up until the lube wears off. I have tried to use a stethescope on everyone of the pulleys but I cant seem to pinpoint the problem spot. Do I have any options other than replacing the remaining a/c compressor and alternator on the serpentine system?

Old 08-30-2009, 09:40 AM
onegoodmason
Veteran

just to be clear , are these belts your trying brand new or used ?

My belt made some terrible noises last yr , it looked fine and was only a yr old , replacement cured it up . I also couldn't pinpoint the noise , deffinately a belt thing

If your charging system is weak , it could also be the issue , how's the voltage , battery condition etc

Old 08-30-2009, 11:16 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

when you got a new tensioner did you adjust it correctly? there is an alignment mark on the side of it. how is the tension on the belt? i've been told that if you grab the longest part of the belt between 2 pulleys that you shouldn't be able to twist it more than 1/4 turn with two fingers.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:19 AM
Relex
Veteran

I was wondering the same thing. My belt was squealing forever until I changed my belt and as soon as it got rainy out and I drove around, it came back (that was a day or two after I got the new belt). It is pretty annoying....

Old 08-30-2009, 02:17 PM
Frogsnot

i had this same problem for a long time and tried jsut about everything you have tried. I did get the squeak to stop for good i went to my dodge dealership and asked around abit and every mechanic i askes said that sometimes when engines are installed a pulley or pulley assembly is mounted at a angle in some direction, none in particular, and it causes the squealing. I was recommended to just go to my hardware store and get a can of Silicone Spray. its like WD-40 but its not an oil base lubricant it sprays on dries and stays that way till washed off. They said it wouldnt cause my belt to slip and so far it hasnt and maybe occasionally id have to put some on again after washing my engine. Up to this day its been about 2 months and ive only sprayed it 2 times and it doesnt squeak anymore.

Not sure if anyone here will argue that its stupid to put a lubricant on your serpentine belt, i agree, but i had extra belts and that squeal drove me nuts so i tried it and so far ive honeslty never had it slip.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:30 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been dealing with a squeal as well, and last night I found it. Look at the back of your belt, and see if it has a glossy appearance to it. If it does, you can take a medium grit sanding block and "lightly" let it buff that finish off of the belt. It eliminated my squeal all together. Turns out that was slipping in a few places on the back side of the belt, and it just polished both of the pulleys and the belt.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:32 PM
004x41500
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

belts squeal when they get wet, (commonly know fact) to solve this problem, get some wd-40 spray it on the belt with the engine running, and it will stop. you need something thats oil based so it doesnt wash away with water, and it will not cause your belt to slip, if your tensioner is doing its job.

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
I've been dealing with a squeal as well, and last night I found it. Look at the back of your belt, and see if it has a glossy appearance to it. If it does, you can take a medium grit sanding block and "lightly" let it buff that finish off of the belt. It eliminated my squeal all together. Turns out that was slipping in a few places on the back side of the belt, and it just polished both of the pulleys and the belt.

lol you can put your hand in there by the fan, but id like to keep my fingers, as i have plenty of good uses for them...like typing this response... lol.

Last edited by 004x41500; 08-30-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:40 PM
Frogsnot

WD-40 never worked for me on my belt so i suppose if one doesnt try the other. most people have WD laying around so if that doesnt work then try a non oil, the silcone spray will soak in better than the WD thats how it was explained to me and how it worked.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:45 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 004x41500

lol you can put your hand in there by the fan, but id like to keep my fingers, as i have plenty of good uses for them...like typing this response... lol.
Um, no. Go look at your truck right now, and tell me which side of the belt is showing going from the tensioner pulley and the alternator. That's where I held the block. You don't even have to bear down on it, just a light touch and it will accomplish the job just fine.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:13 PM
004x41500
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
Um, no. Go look at your truck right now, and tell me which side of the belt is showing going from the tensioner pulley and the alternator. That's where I held the block. You don't even have to bear down on it, just a light touch and it will accomplish the job just fine.

ok ok, you got me. lol. i forgot about that spot. you win.

Originally Posted by Frogsnot
WD-40 never worked for me on my belt so i suppose if one doesnt try the other. most people have WD laying around so if that doesnt work then try a non oil, the silcone spray will soak in better than the WD thats how it was explained to me and how it worked.

and wd always worked for me, but then again, i only have 52,000 on the clock too. thats also used to lube your window tracks, if you ever have a winow that hangs spary some of that in the track up and down, then work the window up and down, and it'll fix it.

Last edited by 004x41500; 08-30-2009 at 03:15 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Squealing belt?????