2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Anyone bypass their RWAL?

Old 09-09-2009, 10:06 AM
sungod
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone bypass their RWAL?

I have isolated my brake issue down to the rear wheel anti lock. After reading some info on the device it seems to do nothing and looking at the number of problems assocaited with it $3 worth of brake line seems like is what I need to relieve my aggrivations. If I plug both ends of the valve and route the brake line out of the combo valve and into the brake line I should effectively by pass the RWAL. Leaving fluid in it should keep it happy and no lights on I am guessing. Just wondering if anyone else has done this.

This page has some good info on the junky system. http://www.aa1car.com/library/abs_kelseyhayes_rwal.htm

Old 09-09-2009, 12:26 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your guessing wrong. The ABS light doesn't go off of weather or not there's fluid in the system. It is regulated by fluid running threw the system, ever time you press the brakes. If your gonna take the RWAL off your truck, let us know where your from so we can be on the look out. We would want you to rear end use. Rams are notorious for there crappy brakes and there nose diving. That's why there's so many ram's with front end damage.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:57 PM
sungod
Veteran

Originally Posted by J415
Your guessing wrong. The ABS light doesn't go off of weather or not there's fluid in the system. It is regulated by fluid running threw the system, ever time you press the brakes. If your gonna take the RWAL off your truck, let us know where your from so we can be on the look out. We would want you to rear end use. Rams are notorious for there crappy brakes and there nose diving. That's why there's so many ram's with front end damage.
I am confused by what you are saying. Are you implying that my truck won't stop as well if I bypass the RWAL valve? You do realize that the system doesn't work? Mine never has. I can lock my rear up with no problem at all. So how would bypassing a system that is notorious for being junk make the situation worse? It seems to me that I am more at risk by running the RWAL than without.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:50 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i've never worked on mine, or had a need to debug it. but just a question, is there a more simple approach like removing a fuse or relay to disable it.

mine actually works. every once in awhile i slam on the brakes in a panic stop and the abs kicks in and releases and grabs. it always scares the hell out of me when it does.

what's wrong with yours ?

Old 09-09-2009, 07:30 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thats what i did...i took the abs relay out and have never had trouble or any light to speak of. (i took the relay out regardless, i hate driving with abs...)

Old 09-10-2009, 05:54 AM
speeddemon31176
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That seems like a much simpler idea than messing with brakes lines and abs modulators. Less than thirty seconds and problem solved. If your brake/abs light is on then you most likely have an issue with the sensor/wiring at the rear differential.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:47 AM
sungod
Veteran

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
i've never worked on mine, or had a need to debug it. but just a question, is there a more simple approach like removing a fuse or relay to disable it.

mine actually works. every once in awhile i slam on the brakes in a panic stop and the abs kicks in and releases and grabs. it always scares the hell out of me when it does.

what's wrong with yours ?
My issue is that the valve keeps dumping and I have a very soft pedal. I think I must have got some debris in it when I ran the master cylinder dry. By passing looks simple. A 8 in section of line and a union. My concern is that the light will come on if I do so.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:21 PM
spocter72
Red face

Hello all;

I have a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4. My brakes on this thing have always been terrible. The other day, I lent it to my son-in-law and he said "whats up with them brakes". I said they have always been like that. Anyway, he checked it out and said there was hardly any pressure to the rear wheels. He drove it again and at about 40-45 mph or so he "climbed on the brakes". There was quite a long stopping distance and then he got out and felt the heat on the rotors and drums. Front were hot and rears were just a bit warm.Last year I had replaced ALL rotors,calipers,wheel cyls,and brakes in hopes it would make things better. It did not. So now, I am thinking that the RWAL is messing it up. Problem is, I know nothing about it.If the dump valve is stuck open,would this happen? Anyway , I figured I would ask you guys that actually know what you are talking about. Is there a way to disable the RWAL or by-pass it? At this point,my ideas are limited. I sure would appreciate any ideas you guys/gals have. I would much rather have the control of the rear wheels without the RWAL than not being able to stop. At very least, I know the rears could lock up and be aware of it compared to hardly no brakes. Thank you all very much

Old 08-16-2010, 02:14 PM
sungod
Veteran

I by passed mine and plugged the ports. It made no difference so I put it back the way it was. As far as I can tell the RWAL doesn't work anyway.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:22 PM
spocter72

sungod, Did you ever find a way to fix it? I have to try to do something. Do you have any other ideas? Appreciate the reply...thank you

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone bypass their RWAL?