2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2WD leveling kit question

Old 09-17-2009, 11:10 PM
AlabamaRam95
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2WD leveling kit question

...first of all, new to the forum.

this morning i had a set of 265/75 16 Kumho KL71s put on my truck. 1995 1500 2wd.

i also took a set of 1.5" Daystar coil spring spacers with me. my tire guy originally told me that he could do everything for me.

turns out...after he mounted the tires he informed me that he couldnt install the spacers because his spring compressor wouldnt fit thru the lower a arm. he also told me that it would be next to impossible for me to do it myself and that it would probably kick out and kill me.

question... anyone here done it with a 2wd 2nd gen and if so can you please help?

im pretty handy with my tools and im not scared of a challenge.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:31 PM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just go rent a spring compressor....youll never get it back in without one......you could get it out tho, put a floormat on it or sumthin like that so it dont fly out

Old 09-18-2009, 12:17 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have taked out my spring with out a spring compressor

jack up truck
take off wheel
back off castle nut on upper ball joint(not all the way off!!)
hit spindle or use bj fork if you boot are gone
once free place jack under the lower c-arm jack up lower c-arm
take off castle nut,,, un blot the shock
lower the c-arm slow!!

for peace of mind you can put a chain throw the spring but my spring did go no were

good luck

Old 09-18-2009, 02:47 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would suggest a spring compressor.. i can take mine out all day long due to the 4wd. but as for the wd, i think it best to do it the right way... and as for kicking it out... it shouldnt, just make sure, you go and get a good alignment done on your truck, anytime you do any kind of suspention work...

Old 09-19-2009, 08:12 AM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I installed my 1.5" spring spacer, I didn't use anything. The lower arm flexes downward enough to basically push the lower part of the spring onto the arm and into its place. It isn't as hard as the guy is making it seem to be. Just takes a little time. Took me a few hours to get mine done by myself...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2WD leveling kit question